dorkal

Apr 8, 2002
Do you guys know which if any 2 stroke bikes can be green stickered here in california? I want a 2 stroke but I want to be able to ride the trails year round. Do I just need a spark arrestor? I'll be buying a 01 or 02 bike. Thanks for any info!

msport

Sep 4, 2001
RE: green 2 stroke

I think the only '01/'02 green 2 strokes are KTM G-models. Otherwise buy from out-of-state, like Canada. Spark arrestors are required on all bikes on public riding areas.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Dorkal,
A freind of mine bought a new 2001 kx125 and got a green sticker..I bought my 250 a few months later and got a red sticker.. I think its kinda "luck of the draw" who knows.. Are you buying a new or used bike??
Rick

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by rickyd
Dorkal,
A freind of mine bought a new 2001 kx125 and got a green sticker..I bought my 250 a few months later and got a red sticker.. I think its kinda "luck of the draw" who knows..

Some DMV's run out of or don't have red stickers, so they give out a green sticker in it's place. Another words, you got lucky for the next two years. I've talked to a few guys who've done this, and they immidiately tell all there riding buddies which DMV it is! Gotta pull every trick you can I guess.

All two-strokes 98 on are red sticker, no matter what. A friend of mine that rides trials bikes says that all trials bikes get a green sticker, but that is due to the extremly low amount of trials bikes sold in California.

If you insist on a 01 or new 2-stroke, you're gonna have to live with owning a 'red sticker' bike. I'm not holding my breath for the emissions standards to lower in this state, so any bike I buy must be a 'green sticker' bike.

Matt

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by MCassle

Some DMV's run out of or don't have red stickers, so they give out a green sticker in it's place. Another words, you got lucky for the next two years. I've talked to a few guys who've done this, and they immidiately tell all there riding buddies which DMV it is! Gotta pull every trick you can I guess.

I got my red sticker from the DMV by mail.. Can you go to a local dmv and get a green sticker?? Everytime i see my buds 2001 kx125, i see the green sticker.. He got it by mail, didnt wait for the dmv to run out of red sticker HAHAHA
Rick

dorkal

Apr 8, 2002
Thanks for the info. Hmmm. What would be a good 4 stroke trail and mx bike? I don't want the red sticker! California sucks when it comes to this crap. Geez.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Re: RE: green 2 stroke

Originally posted by msport
I think the only '01/'02 green 2 strokes are KTM G-models. Otherwise buy from out-of-state, like Canada. Spark arrestors are required on all bikes on public riding areas.

The G model is the RFS line up, which are 4 strokes and only the 02's are green bikes. The word in the underground is that the entire 03' line up of RFS' will be green bikes.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dorkal.

Look at the Vin#. If the Vin# has a '3' or a 'C' in the eighth digit, then it is red sticker only. Count all numbers and letters back to the eighth digit.

If you can go with a four stroke, you might want to look at an out of state or Canadian model WR Yamaha. These make great track or trail bikes and you can even get them dual sported in California if they have the right Vin#.

Just my $ .02

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by Kaw_Boy_5
To get a green sticker for sure you need a pre 1998 2 stroke

I think it is actually 96 and older, a few 97's made into the grandfather years because they were made before Jan. 1st, 97. Some of the licky ones that get a green sticker on a new bike may still find a red sticker in the mail box when it comes time to renew, plus a ranger can take it away if he wants to. :(

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
"ranger can take it away if he wants to"

I would debate that statement.

Is the ranger's responsibility to enforce having a registration - green or red, or is it to determine whether the bike should have a green vs red and whether the DMV acted in error, etc?

It would appear that there are circumstances where a 2-stroke could legally have a green sticker and the assumption is that the DMV is accountable for proper issuance and needs to be held accountable - not the rider/owner...

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
Stickers

Is there an AMA page that would have a list of the current red/green stickered bikes? I've checked the district 36's web site (they have an article explaining this mess) and show manufacture/models but I think it may only be accurate to the time of the article.

About getting a bike from out of state or Canada. I assume that works because they don't have dirt bikes registered with a DMV? Would there be anything I'd need to do to prove residency anywhere?

beginnermx

Apr 4, 2002
well, what you can do is get a bike that was made before 1997 cuz they made those green/red sticker things. you can also just make it street legal for the green.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I've sorted thru this mess recently and the rules are pretty clear. Post 97 two strokes and a majority of "high performance" four strokes get red stickers. The only new bikes I'm aware of that get green stickers are:

Honda XRs
Kaw KLXs
Yam TTRs
KTM G model RFSs

My understanding is that some Husky 4-strokes will also be green sticker in 2003. What's not clear today, is enforcement. In many places it remains pretty random and luck still plays a big role. My guess is that going forward the rules will be more consistently enforced and the value of having a green sticker will increase.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Green sticker for '02 KDX220R

I bought my '02 KDX220R in February and got a green sticker.
I don't know why I got the green sticker.....but my dealer said there is NO guarantee next time.

Mini

tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
the dmv is so screwed up in california, i was told they really are not enforcing the green/red sticker that much until the dmv can sort out the right stickers to the right bikes, my O2 cr250 got a green sticker, like LOCOCD said, its the DMV's responsibility to distribute the correct sticker.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
For all of the happy recipients of a green when it should have been red sticker... I understand the DMV just did an audit and found some 29,000 erroneously distributed stickers. I also understand that they have been told to get these straightened out in the next 2 cycles, this implies that the sticker situation will be sorted out by July 2003. Until then enjoy your good fortune!

webbrace

May 18, 2000
The best way to do it, is ride were the rangers dont go. Dont stop for the BLM, dont say hi to the BLM. They are not your friends. They are kind of like a rattlesnake, If you leave them alone, they will tend to ignore you.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
'02 RM 250. Canadian purchase, and got green sticker from DMV. The VIN has the nasty 8th character, even though not a US bike. Made an appointment to register the bike at the Inglewood office, and that's what they gave me. Not holding my breath that the next will be the same, but when the renewal shows up, I'll walk it in, rather than mail. Probably head back towards Inglewood.

mg

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
If you're buying a new bike, talk to the dealers. They'll tell you what percentage of their bikes are getting green. Some dealers are getting a higher percentage than others. I've even heard some are almost guaranteeing green! But remember, it is a crap shoot... :uh:

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
My riding buddy has a 02 KX250 with a green sticker!!!! My YZ426 has a red sticker!!!! Damn it all to hell!!!!!! I even have a spark arrestor on it! :moon:

ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
So, come visit here in AZ. Buy a new bike, and dual sport it. You can dual sport anything here, just need headlights, brake/tail light,mirror and horn. So, buy your CRF450, dual sport it, take it to DMV in AZ, get it plated. Then, "move back" to CA. If it's plated in another state, they have to plate there once you meet the safety req's. If you have a plate, the whole sticker thing becomes moot, as your bike is street legal and you can now ride anywhere you want year round. Now, some people screw this up, you have to leave the street legal stuff on it when you ride. Otherwise it is not street legal and you can be cited for the missing safety equip, or missing sticker.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Hey dorkal, even if you get a four stroke you may get a red sticker. My buddy with a 02' Ktm520 has a red and so does my buddy with a cr450. Unless you get a xr or something of the sort. Its a losing battle. I keep a older rm that is green stickered just in case. But I have found that I dont really need it. There are really only a few HOT months that you cant ride in the woods. But then you can spend some time at the track during summer. Anyways its lame and many people have gotten lucky with what sticker they recieved. But as the years go on and they want a new bike, they will get shafted just like the rest of us.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
If a dealer alludes to, or gurantee's a green sticker for a red sticker bike they are selling you snake oil, BS, whatever. Pure and simple, nothing they do changes the law and DMV tracking system. If they fiddle with the VIN you have bigger problems than the sticker. The only way you get one is a simple mistake.

By the way Slickpuss, the '02 KTM EXC520G and EXC400G are green sticker bikes. The SX and MXC models are not.

Top Bottom