Hard to start after sitting a long time

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
My '92 "E"model has been a real good bike.I've enjoyed it for four years now.One thing baffles me.If I let the bike sit for a few months it will not start....If I pull off the air cleaner and give it a shot of pre-mix it starts right up...then it is fine as long as I run it every week or two.Then it starts 1st or 2nd kick,but let it sit for three months and it won't start again! I have had the carb apart 6 or 7 times.Cleaned it thorough. I've replaced my reeds with Boyesen.Changed jets.Adjusted float.Cleaned tank and fuel filter.
Has anybody solved such a problem?..... I know I need to ride more often! Dave

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
I would try the simplest solution first. This would be to run the carb dry before storage. Another possible solution is a 4 stroke starting tip after several months sitting including turning on petcock and leaning bike over until you get steady stream of gas onto the ground. This primes float bowl with fresher gas in the tank. I also would rec'm checking air screw adjustment and pilot jet condition. Final idea should not be necessary due to short storage but will help is to use Stabil gasoline stabilizer in last tankful before storage. Make sure you run long enough to get treated gas into carb.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Minimum problems if you run gas out of carb before quitting each time. Listen to oldturtle above--remember the turtle started and finished! Cheers John

Top Bottom