Hard To Start Please Help Me!!!!!!!

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
hey guys ever since i put a new top end in my bike it has become very hard to start. I dont know if it is the top end or not but it takes about 6 good kicks to start it and that is with the throtle wide open I can even start it with out any throttle. I dont know what is going on but the kick starter is hitting my foot peg and bending the prongs. please help me. Before I put a new top end in my bike it used to start right up with only one or two kicks. Help help help.

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Hey there
Have you tried changing plugs and fuel sounds silly but could be all that is wrong. did you only pull the barrel off? if you have gone further than the barrel your crank case seal could be buggered causing loss of compression

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
There can be several things that cause hard starting usually its simple. I remember you saying your bike was idling very fast right after you finished your top end. how did you remedy it and was it difficult to start then? I would check to see if your reed cage and gasket are seating correctly and your reeds are in good condition and sealing properly (they must lay flat). If either one of these are out of wack it will cause hard starting every time guaranteed

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
ridejunky said:
There can be several things that cause hard starting usually its simple. I remember you saying your bike was idling very fast right after you finished your top end. how did you remedy it and was it difficult to start then? I would check to see if your reed cage and gasket are seating correctly and your reeds are in good condition and sealing properly (they must lay flat). If either one of these are out of wack it will cause hard starting every time guaranteed
Hey buddy, I found out the my throttle screww on top was not threaded on properly. I am going to try a new plug and use new fuel.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Just out of curiosity how old was you gas? I know this is bad practice but I have on more than one occasion let gas sit in my bike for more than 2 months and it started on 3rd or 4th kick so I guess my question is how long does it take to go bad?

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
ridejunky said:
I have on more than one occasion let gas sit in my bike for more than 2 months and it started on 3rd or 4th kick so I guess my question is how long does it take to go bad?

2 months is about the time when gas "begins" to go bad. You can usually tell by the smell. I run Stabil in my bikes year around. So if they happen to set up for a few months... which never happens :laugh: they'll start right up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom