medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I unwittedly commited myself to riding the Battle Creek harescramble next weekend, in the women's/ kid's division. Has anyone done that course? I suck in the sand, woods, mud, cornfields and hills scare me! How do you think I'll do? JUST KIDDING! I feel like passing out just talking about it. HELP!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Hey Sandy, ask the guys in the MI trail rider forum. I really like the Portland one a lot...woods aren't that tight, track is nice, add a little endurocross and cornfield.

Have fun! I'm not allowed to race in the women's class b/c I'm on a big bike...Oh well...you'll have to come with us to Portland sometime or check out Big Air.

Apr 30, 2007
Hmmm...I did one harescramble, and I thought it was pretty sweet (maybe not after the 2nd lap (29 miles). I even got my dad to do it too.

I am incredibly glad that I did it, even if it was pretty tough.

We had woods, sandpits, and pastures, and one section on an MX track. In September, there really wasn't much for mud, and we don't have any sort of real hills in the area. This is the sort of stuff I have been play riding in since I was 12, so my only had three huge worries:

1 - Getting lost
2 - Having my 80 run out of gas
3 - Dying
4 - Getting really thirsty

None of those happened except getting really thirsty (I made sure to fill up every lap, even if it cost me time).

Here are several things that I know would have/did help.

1 - CAMELBAK!!!! I can't believe I was too cheap to go buy one.
2 - Having a rider about the same speed as I was. We stuck together until mostly to the end of things. I crashed, she made sure I was okay. She crashed, I made sure she was okay.
3 - Don't treat it like a race. I wore myself out too quickly because I'm a competitive idiot. Once I cooled my jets, things were actually very fun and I didn't crash quite so often. Focus on finishing, and form (thinking about form will help distract you from feeling tired).
4 - Don't worry about sand! Sand is great!!! It doesn't hurt when you tip over!!! :)
4.5 - I'm not MXGirl, but I do know that staying loose is best. Try to relax your grip and let the bike move underneath you. Keep steady on the gas, and keep the front wheel light by staying on the gas. If you are going down a sandy hill, and things get squirrelly, pulling in the clutch will make things roll more smoothly, use your rear brake to help control speed.
5 - Have an awesome time! You'll do great!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
medwaste said:
Hey, MXGirl, Any advice on riding in the sand?

Sorry I missed this post, Sandy. We were gone all weekend. No tips here...I suck in sand! The only thing I can say is hold on and keep the throttle on!

How did it go? How was the course? I think that one is mostly woods...

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
My 1st hare scramble was AWESOME! Not my riding but the whole experience. Only got lost on the parade lap, knew I was in the wrong spot because of the orange danger sign and a log bridge over a ravine! People ride over that? Yikes! And sand doesn't hurt when you fall, gotta learn to ride on that. I loved the mx track and my barkbusters and my little bike and the volunteers and the people who didn't know you but cheered you on.......Thanks everyone!

Apr 30, 2007
My advice did come too late (kinda realized that as I hit the post button)...but I'm pretty stoked that you rocked it and had a pretty kickin' time.

Writeup??!

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Justa..007. The knowledge from yr. posts is never too late. Just how fast do you have to go in sand to keep from washing out? I would love to find one of those sumo wrestler suits to wear until I can get over my fear of speed &/or broken bones.

Apr 30, 2007
That fear is way worse after you break the bones... - Alas my biggest challenge this season.

How fast? That is a kinda funny question. I find that I crash in the sand no matter how fast or slow I go...As does everyone that I have ever ridden with in my life. This would include first timers on up to sorta pro riders.

Somewhere's in the "General" forum, someone posted a "first time riding in sand" question and there's some great advice there.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Has anyone raced the Hare Scramble at Fox Valley Off Road in Wedron, IL? I am doing my first race there on 6/14.... any beginner advice?

P.S. As for the sand riding the best advice I ever got was to lean back and put as much pressure on the back tire as possible while keeping the front tire from digging in and going cockeyed. Down shifting to 1st is sometimes necessary. And, really, if all else fails, I'd rather fall on a sand track than anywhere else!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hi Jensea - I just replied to your other thread before I saw this. I have raced some of the hare scrambles at Fox Valley in the women's class, and they are really fun! We run on an easier course with the thumper class... couple of hills, mostly quad trails, kids mx track, nothing too tricky, except for an occasional mud hole that usually gets me! I haven't raced any other hare scrambles, but from what I hear, Fox Valley's women's course is about as easy as they get. So it's a great place for a beginner! See ya there, I'll be #402 on a CRF250, wishing I had a smaller bike!! :ride:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
And for sand, my best advise, is that momentum is the key! If you let completely off the gas, your front end will dig in. You don't have to be wide open or anything (although speed helps keep you straight), but just keep on the gas as much as possible. In rough straights, stand as much as you can, and soak up the bumps/whoops/holes with your legs. And if you get outta shape (like the rear end starts to swap/kick), just give it a little more gas and it should straighten out. Letting off will usually just make it worse. In the turns, it's usually easier to go wide and not turn as sharp, unless there is a nice inside rut or berm to help you out. And like Jensea said, stay back on the bike more than normal. But most of all, practice, practice, practice!! :yeehaw:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Nikki...#402??

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
MXGirl230 said:
Nikki...#402??

Oh no, still rockin the 102!! But woods Nikki = 402. Just a printed out number and some duct tape, because they make the women run a 4xx number for the hare scrambles. Oh well, at least it protects a couple of my number plates when I crash! :moon:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Aahhh..I was like What?!?!?!
I have woods plastic and bars, b/c of my history with trees...

Top Bottom