Hatfield-McCoy Ride Weekend June 6th

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Ok guys lets get organized as stated.. June 5th 6th and 7th
You are all invited to join me for Camping Riding and just plain fun!

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
I've been wanting to ride the Hatfield-McCoy for a while now. Have to see how finance goes between now and then.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
10-4 julien_d is in so officaily that 2 on the books

Lemmy? tell work you are GONE june 5,6,7

Crimeidy26? you in .. just use green vinyl like we talked about :laugh:

Glad2ride?
branhine?

any others from pa, ny, oh, tn, ga, wv,??

Anyone who would like to see and try a kdx that has a bike may join us and I'll swap you for a bit so you can see why we like our bikes so much

olhillbilly: maybe mudpack can pick you up and you guys can car pool

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'll have probably 2 guys with me. One on a 91KDX and one on a yz250 and/or KTM300. Might even bring the fam for some camping style fun.

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
SR5, I'll definately try and get off of work but its far off so i dont know what work schedule will be like as of yet. I'll let you guys know as soon as i know, it sounds like it will be a great time so i'll do my best and try and go.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Joe We are going pretty far north already, Infact I will be traveling futher than you If you came
Thats why I changed from south east ride to Hatfield mccoy ride as you northerners are welcome too

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Joe if you got info then please share we just want to meet up and camp and ride can you suggest a camp ground and trail system?
I really need to get that squared away!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've never been, but I have looked into it several times. I'm not sure where the specific trails are. It could mean a difference of 5 or 6 hours driving. Let me know when you guys pin down a starting point and riding plan. If I have a few months notice I can probly take a long weekend. Anyone ride with thier wives or kids?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The Little Coal River system is the northern-most trail. It's about 6 hours from here. I hate driving that far......

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Guys I figuer since none of us have been here before we can go to the Little Coal River trail system, they have the visitors center where everyone can buy thier 2009 pass for $50
http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/visitorscenter.aspx

or fill out online

https://www.trailsheaven.com/permitform/default.aspx

I think thats fair becouse at durhamtown it is $30 a day x2 $60

I'm going to contact this camp ground tomorrow and see about having 6-10 spots reserved (tent camping) in the same area (if I can get them to call it kdx spots then each person can call them and reserve aspot within the kdx zone and pay any deposits),
it's right accross the road from the visitors center and has access to the trail system via an underpass!!
http://www.littlecoalrivercampground.com/campground.htm

A map of the little coal river trail system
http://www.trailsheaven.com/explore_the_trails/littlecoal/map.aspx

Let me know if that sounds ok Julien and Joe and Crimiedy

jth

May 21, 2006
Hello all, I am interested in joining in on this ride, also I have been to several different trails at Hatfield several different times.
In my opinion the Little Coal River trail system is a very easy trail. Great for families on 4weelers. Dirt bike guys get board real quick there. I’m not putting it down. I have been there 4 or 5 times with different groups of riders, It’s a very nice place to take the wives and kids.
But for a crowd of KDX riders, I would highly suggest Buffalo Mountain as my top number one trail.

1. Buffalo Mountain

also RockHouse is cool.

2. RockHouse

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
also guys we really need to think about carrying some extra fuel!!!
is there anyone who is bringing a friend with a eourwheeler/chase vehical??

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I will have at least one 4 wheeler, 2 if I can figure out how to drag them both. Hopefully I can bring the arctic cat. 06 400 TRV 4wd. It will carry as much fuel as we could need. The yfm225 does a decent job too. I'll have one or the other of them hopefully.

Looks like there's enough easy trail at buffalo if I bring the wife and kids. They can get out on the old yfm a bit. I'll have to get tires on that thing first. The arctic cat is tip top after the shop finishes rebuilding the engine... :|. Long story.....

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Guys I spoke with Cathy McCoy this morning ( from the H.M. resort) Buffalo Mountain
she said they have closed their primitive camping but is working on a good price for us In the rooms and says if we stay thewre we can use the area down by the river for campfires and drinking that 6pack. this sounds like a real nice area to set up even if we find another campsite to stay at. the tails lead to towns and they allow you to ride in all the towns around there as long as you have your 2009 permit.

The little Coal River spot is about 10 miles away from any sort of store or gas.

If we got our permits now online I think the Buffalo Mountain would be a good choice
esp. if wifes and kids are involved, its in Matewan a historic small town that offer more than camping and riding in case God forbid it rains!!

PLease let me know your thoughts.

jth

May 21, 2006
Thanks for the invitation, you will injoy Buffalo Mtn. there are 2 towns you can ride into, several places to eat and get gas.
It's way cool to ride in a caravan of dirt bikes and 4-weelers down main street, past the court house and old time buildings.
People wave and even stop to let you pass through.

For fuel I carry a 8oz. baby bottle full of 2-stroke oil on my bike for mixing at the gas station. I get 1 gal. in town and have never hit reserve on the trail (yet).

Rain, strange thing. You can get caught in rain on one side of the mountain and by the time you twist around to the other side, it's dry. That happened to me a couple of times.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
jth
cool I'm really liking the buffalo mt. Idea but called the hatfield mccoy resort today and talked with kathy McCoy and she said thier campsite are closed cause an acident with a train?? but anyhow she is going to get back with me on the discount for thier cabins/ rooms, as most people I feel that never meeting, you would not want to bunk/share space with others although I truley believe we here are all good folks and too not haveing the low cost of camping (tent) may discourage some from coming.

I really don't know what to do, I have spent hours this evening searching for camping in or around matewan wv to no avail. If my wife where to come with then I would not hesitate to get a room but myself alone would basically sleep in my truck!!

If everyone coming was bringing 2 friends it would be economical to get cabins and or rooms as they would be comfortable splitting the cost/ space with people they know.

in sort I guess I could just say GUYS WE ARE DOING THE BUFFALO MT. and let each group of comers make thier own accomidations in or around matewan WV and just meet at the hatfield mccoy resort.

I just need feedback is all !!
I can save to get a room it is 6 mos out yet, I don't know others situation though

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I was hoping for camping myself, simply due to costs. I did check out the cost on the cabins though and it's reasonable. I am not sure yet if my wife plans to come or not, so that would make a difference as well. For now lets plan on buffalo. She indicated no chance of their campground being open by june?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Jullien
no she didn't and I asked she did say we could use that area for campfires and such I will call again today and press a little more and to about pricing for cabins and rooms

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Hey Guys heres what I got. I think its a pretty good deal. We should reserve asap!!!! I got room #23...

Here in the Inn we have four large rooms. Each has its own bath.
Each room will cost $25.00 per night for up to two people and $10.00 each additional person.
*Room #21 has one double bed and enough room for two fold away beds.
It can sleep four.
*Room # 22 has one double bed and enough room for one fold away bed.
It can sleep three.
*Room #23 has two double beds.
It can sleep four.
*Room #24 has two double beds and two single beds.
It can sleep six.

The Matewan Garden Cottage
It is a small house down the street walking distance from the Inn
“3 buildings down”.
The Cottage has six single beds downstairs all in the same room. With a bath. The price for the downstairs is $25.00 per night for up to two people and $10.00 each additional person.

The upstairs has two rooms the back room has one double bed (sleeps two). And the front room has two single beds (sleeps two). I would suggest that the people who take the upstairs rooms are family or don’t mind that you have to pass thru the others bedroom to the front door to get in and out. It has one bath.
The price for the upstairs is $25.00 per night per room.

While you're here you can enjoy our courtyard, with a wood burning stove, tv, live entertainment. You can also be served from our restaurant Wingo's Grill, where we serve Apple Smoked, Fresh Boston Butt BBQ & Wings served with one of our home made sauces. That’s Pork worth feud'n over. (I can cater to your group a great BBQ dinner just let me know ahead). We have an arcade, fun for the whole family. Games, air hockey, pool table. For those of you who want to add a relaxing day to your vacation we offer kayak and canoeing. You can also enjoy our river front property were there you can fish, (We can loan you 6 rods and two tackle boxes to get you started) swim, use our outdoor grill, build a fire and roast marshmallows. A great get a-way! There's plenty of parking available. Once you on load you never have to load up again, just hit the trails! Check out the Buffalo Trail Map, there's plenty of green trails. Our son has Paul’s Pitt Stop here so if you break down and need a helping hand or tools he’ll be around. You're sure to enjoy this quite little town. We have discounted the rooms tremendously in hopes of a way of advertisement. We hope that you will enjoy being here and would like to come back to visit the next year. I will be more than happy to help you while planning your trip. I can have the permits available when you get here once we have a head count on how many you need. I can have some trail maps for you as well. Anything else you need help or if you want us to help plan some of these activities just give us a call.
Thanks, Donald and Kathy McCoy 304-426-4700 304-426-6266 www.hatfield-mccoyresort.com

Top Bottom