robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
In light of all the discussions about race gas, AVGAS, pump gas. . . it got me thinking . . .

Are head modifications the only reason you need to run race fuel, or does the porting have something to do with it also?

If a person had a built motor like an EG 144 kit with a stock head and a modified head . . .

Theoretically, could they use race gas with the mod head and pump fuel with the stock head?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Anyone? Eric is doing my 144 kit for race gas, but if I could run pump gas with a stock head I might use it in the racing off season to save money.

Also had thoughts of the future sale of the bike - some buyers might not want a race fuel only motor - especially since the bike will be 5+ years old by the time I sell it.

Anyway, there a used head for sale on some website and I was thinking of buying it if it would allow pump gas . . .

Thanks

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I'd ask Eric himself what would be different to set the bike up for race or pump gas. If it is just head mods, then you could find a second head and have him set it for pump gas and then swap as you planned. No matter what, no one on hear will know better than The Man himself.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I guess that was a stupid question . . . The head will have to milled to be match the bore . . . I wasn't thinking about the possible contact between the head and the piston or whatever . . .

Sorry bout that I'll try to think next time . . . :(

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
They will actually cut into the head and widen the squish band to match the bore. The 144 should be a lot of fun. It's always nice to have more cc's than your buddys.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would imagine a 144 could still be modified to run on pump fuel though even if it won't be stock. Head mods are relatively cheap so I think you may still be able to accomplish what you were talking about. Disclaimer I am not an engine building expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :laugh:

Top Bottom