zx6rman96

Jan 5, 2006
hey guys...i was putting new bearings in my headstem today...and i think i may have put the bottom one in upside down. Is that possible? Is the seal supposed to be up in the frame or riding on the triple clamp? The reason i ask is because i can't push the stem far enough up to get the top nut on. and if is on upside down....i think i'm in some trouble because I had to beat the hell out of it to get it to slide down to the bottom clamp. Hope i didnt waste 50 bucks worth of bearings....or at least 25 bucks worth...top one is fine I believe. Any help would be appreciated. Dont know what I'd do without this site. Thanks

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
The bottom bearing is supposed to be pressed on. I would imagine the seal is supposed be on the triple clamp side, but Im not totally sure. On my 94 RM the bearings are tirangular shaped, so its pretty basic.

zx6rman96

Jan 5, 2006
could it go one way or another..upside down or rightside up. Meaning the seal is resting on the clamp...or the bearing is resting on the clamp. I'm not sure which way it's supposed to be. Right now the seal if resting on the clamp it and i'm having major trouble pressing it the rest of the way down. I think I need about a 1/8 inch to press it the rest the way down. Any ideas on pressing it the rest of the way?

~~~~~~~ < bearing
-------------- < seal
======= < triple clamp

Last edited:

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
You got it in the right order.

You need a hydraulic press to install it fully. Maybe by beating on it, you could have moved the stem slightly out of the clamp too.

zx6rman96

Jan 5, 2006
got it! i put it in the freezer last night..and gave it a few whacks today when i got off work...and it finally slid down the rest of the way.....finally! i'm so excited..almost time to let her rip. Got all sorts of new goodies i get too throw on her. Gonna be a sexy bitch

Top Bottom