jarredtaylor

Jan 6, 2000
I am 6'4" tall.. I just bought a new CRF, I have problems gripping the bike with my knees.. because they are even with the tops of the radiator shrouds. Therefore I bought some gripper style frame guards in hopes that i could grip the bike more with my ankles since my knees wont grab...

Is this a bad technique for riding?? I mean in all actuality.. am I too big to ride? I have to watch very cautiously my head placement and body position when jumping because the slight bit too far forward or back will throw me way off course... the center of gravity and bulk of my mass is very high compared to other riders.

Another problem I have is when absorbing impacts from whoops or other terrain.. am bobbing up and down on my knees. This is fine for smaller people, but the arc of my knees is beyond 45 degrees, and this places undue pressure on my MCL ligament.. what are effective methods for tall riders and racing?? Are there obvious differences in training a short versus tall rider?

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
I am 6'2''... I have an extra tall seat, raised bars, and bar clamps, and I cut the ears for my peg mounts, then welded them on about 15mm down, and 5mm back. this suits me just perfect. I also have BBR suspension, and Race Tech springs. I would recommend getting your suspension revalved, Derek Charbonneau at BBR is an EXCELLENT suspension tech, my bike never instilled such confidence in me as when I got it back from him. It caused my bike to behave a lot more predictably, and more stable on takeoffs, and landings. (I won't even start to drool about whoops) Another way to make your bike more stable, is to keep your rear axle back as far as possible, along with lowering your forks in the triple clamps (until they are even with the top of the clamps) You are definately not to big to ride! Travis Pastrana is 6'3'' and he can ride alright...;)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
191cm, 90 kg(nekkid) here (6'4",200 lbs.) My 520 SX is pretty nice for big boys, but I still have raised the handlebard 20 mm, put it full forward (this is by preference) and have a high seat(they sell these complete for KTMs at a good price (about 85 euros, or 70 or so bucks)). I haven't gone as far as modifying the frame.

Let's face it, the bikes are made for smaller people and we will never be world champions. However, guys our size can get pretty damn far up the ladder.

MX823

Nov 8, 2001
I am 6'4" and I ride and race a 125. Believe it or not I run an applied upper with a protaper YZ low bar, The low I think helps me keep in a forward position, I use stock seat foam and have not moved the pegs.

I can not grip seat/tank with knees, but what I have done to compensate is to grip with the calf and ankle. If you point your toes outward slightly it is easier, I also find it easier to shift.

I also use the terrain to help make movements easier. There is a bigger transition to go from sitting to standing or vise versa. But upon entering a turn when I brake hard and the weight shifts towards the front , I use that momnetum to sit, Exiting turns there is always some sort of acceleration bump use that help in standing.

I tend to stand more than many guys, as mentioned above if you look at travis's style he stands more than anyone out there,
Also in the rough stuff we have an advantage it takes alot for a rear fender to hit me than it does for someone who is 5'9".

jarredtaylor

Jan 6, 2000
I have been using my legs to grasp the frame as well.. more so my ankles and calves. I bought those gripper guards.. they seem to help a litle bit.

I use protaper lows with the 3/4" risers on a stock triple clamp. The fit well. I use full width protapers.. they arent cut down. I have'nt experimented with cutting them down on the ends.. what is the rule for ascertaining width of handlebar?

Who sells tall seat foam for my CRF 450? I think I will try that... as I still feel quite cramped on the machine.

Thanks for the replies.
JT

bills442

May 4, 2001
This is a great question. I actually wanted to ask this earlier but never did. I'm not even that tall: I'm about 6"1. I can grip the bike ( a 99 kdx 200 with racetech springs for my weight ) just fine when sitting down with my knees, but my knees are above the seat when I stand, I basically have no contact with the bike at any point but my boots. I bought some frame guards to widen the surface area and they seemed to help a lot, but still when accellerating while standing I feel I have no real grip on the bike. Unless I try to position my whole body forward its feels like I am falling backwards.

So I guess I have reasonable grip with my ankes when standing but still don't have a good grip if accelerating and standing.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I used to have this problem, never really found a solution to it but it did seem to disappear. I feel like I subconsciously began using a different body position than what I was using. Don't stand straight up, but crouch low on the bike. "Standing" position is more like hovering above the seat.. Remember, be in the attack position. Standing in the air is different.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
My CRF is definitely very cramped for us beanpoles (6'3" myself), but I am improving it. First off I run CR Double High Tags on 5mm forward mounts and I'll be raising my seat next week through a local guy. I also ordered new IMS pegs and mounts that move the pegs back and down 10mm or so.

jarredtaylor

Jan 6, 2000
I ordered the gary bailey lower and back footpeg mounts too. I have regular bend protapers with protaper mounts.. they raise it up a little. What kind of bar configuration do you recommend??? Can I get some kind of triple clamp that has raisers higher than my current configuration???

JT

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I'm running a DH1 Racing bar mount that is a few millimeters taller and 5mm forward. The double high's pretty much take care of the height and I roll em pretty far forward to get more room.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Check out the Thumper Racing bar clamps.. They *really* raise/push forward the bar position more than anything else I've seen.

podia

Aug 31, 2000
I always had a very bad back ache after a short ride.

Do you guys think I will benefit from a taller bar?

I'm 5'9, on a 125.

I'm gripping the bike with my calf and knee.:uh:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I don't know if this has been covered or not so sorry if it has. For everyone gripping with your knees that’s good, if you are trying to squeeze in with your knees your not doing it right. When you squeeze in with your knees it only stresses your legs and back
Here is what I have found to work. Make sure your feet are firmly planted on the pegs and push out with your feet, that will force your knees in and give you a good strong grip at the seat. It may feel weird but you get used to it and it gives you much better control of the bike.

Lee W.

Top Bottom