pumphog

Feb 12, 2010
I am a brokedown, woreout old dirt rider that's on the comeback trail. I am 58 years old tomorrow and feel every bit of it. I have had two total knee replacements done on my left knee in the last 2 years and had my L4 and L5 vertebrae fuzed to my tailbone about six weeks ago. Also had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel about ten years ago. their doing great. The doc says if I will give it time and do the therapy that I could go back to riding enduro's of which I have been riding for almost 40 years.

My first dirt bike was a brand new 125 Penton back in 66 or 67, Can't remember which year was the first year for them. Leroy Winters got three of bikes from John Penton from the very first shipment . Leroy got one, his son Mike got one and I got the other. I grew up around Leroy's shop in Ft. Smith Ar and learned a lot from Leroy. Smoothest rider I ever saw ride a motorcycle.

I have owned right at forty off road racers in my long rider career and have had a ball doing it. I put on my first cross country race when I was sixteen, met with the Forest service, laid out the route and bought the trophies. I was in on the start of the Black Jack Enduro Circuit almost 30 years ago and a member of the Razorback Riders of Fayetteville Ar. Our club has held th White Rock Mt. Enduro for the past 35 years with the 36th edition coming up March 21st. We also have the ISDT Reunion Ride coming back to our club property this coming Oct. where it started almost ten years ago.

Ok, now for the comeback, I am always been interested in Vintage Racing but never stuck my foot in but with all the interest and just seeing all the old bikes that people have restored on all the websites I am itching to find a project that I can get started on. That's the reason I joined this website, from what I've read so far there are hundreds of guys on here with tons of knowledge that can help me go down the right path. I am really looking forward to visiting with some of you.

Thanks Pumphog

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Welcome to the drn orthopedic & body-parts hardware club! That's one hell of a first thread. Good luck with your health issues & picking a ride that will help you, not beat you. Your at the right place pal! Good luck & Best Regards, Porkchop :cool:

pumphog

Feb 12, 2010
I'm in Ft. Smith. I guess you could say I'm a " Mature " rider also. Sounds a whole lot better than old and worn out!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Luther?
Welcome to DRN. I'm hoping to make White Rock this year. (It was the only one I missed last year, had something to do with a co-worker thinking his honeymoon was more important than an Enduro) Right now my weekends off are not lining up with the Blackjack schedule but hope to change that soon. Hope that you are done with the surgery's and are able to enjoy riding again.
Derek Sowers

pumphog

Feb 12, 2010
Hey Derek, I hope your able to make it to White Rock this year, looks to be a great course the guys have been working on. I'm not going to get to do any trail work this year. They appointed me check crew captain so I will be trying to get everybody to where they are supposed to. We're pretty lucky in our club, we have a lot of people that can handle a multitude of task and don't mind whatever is asked of them.

One thing everybody coming to White Rock this year can look forward to is not having to cross the creek at the back of the camp if the waters up.. We have a brand new 70ft long 15ft high bridge that will ensure we don't get enybody trapped on the other side if the creeks do come up.

Looking forward to seeing everybody at White Rock this year.

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Sounds like a mighty fine resume for riding credentials there Pumphog. Hope you're healing process moves ahead quick so as not to miss out on too much excitement. I am a new member as well,....44yr. old that hurt myself bad about 15yrs. ago now. Haven't been on a bike for 14 yrs.!! god I miss it,..but my "comeback" is this year as well. I too have L4-L5 fused together...maybe that's the extra edge we need?...a "DOUBLE" strong "low-end"! I hope you find a good project,..good luck.

Top Bottom