250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
This may sound like a really dumb post,but I have very long hair,far past shoulder length and extremely thick.When I put a helmet on and go biking it gets matted,tangled and basicially turns into a large rats nest(with mud in it too).Even if I tie it back In a ponytail it is so long it tangles like crazy.No matter how I tie it back,there are loose strands that get in my face and drive me crazy.And if I put it in a bun,it just eventually comes out,It kills hairbands like crazy because It is so thick and heavy.And well,you can probably guess what happens when i don't tie it back at all,badness.My hair is driving me nuts :bang:

So how do you proffesionals deal with this tangled,matted, tickly annoying issue??How can I deal with my obnoxious hair while I am biking?Is there some special trick that I don't know about?Or am I just going to have to chop it all off like most of the other hard core biking girls I know?

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
My daughter rides with her hair in two braids. It seams to work well for her. I notice many others using braids as well.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if it's muddy, I have the wife braid my daughter's hair before we ride. On normal days, I have her wear a kerchief of sorts over her hair before we put her lid on, and have it tied back in some way. Of course, her's is just about shoulder length so it's not quite as bad.

I guess it's one of the hazards a lady is gonna have to deal with . . . :(

Apr 30, 2007
Ah...I have never had long hair, so I don't know for sure - but braids are what I have seen at the track...like the french braided style...

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
WomanRider said:
My daughter rides with her hair in two braids.

I do the same. I have thick, curly hair down to the middle of my back. I part it down the middle and braid it in two braids. Then I use barettes to hold my bangs back. It works great!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
Mine's not awfully long (shoulder length), so I put it in a ponytail and tie a thin, stretchy headscarf over it to prevent tangling. I had longer hair when I was younger and did horseback riding, and my mother would french-braid it for me.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
KiwiBird said:
That link is the PERFECT solution. I also have issues w/ rats nest at the end of the day. :bang: I have been braiding my hair for the last year and it is definately an improvement over a ponytail. I do the indian braids style which leaves more room within the helmet for me as opposed to a single braid. As a 41 year old mom, I always feel a little dorky w/ braids! :) but, you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I braid my daughters when we go riding and she doesn't have any problems.

randomfish

Jul 29, 2006
Long hair, braids. french braid works well, cause if I start super geeky- at forehead, I can incorporate my bangs into it. two braids a la PP Longstocking also works really well. Sitting around campfire and looking pretty AFTER the helmet is off though, is a different story.. :laugh:

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Randomfish;
You must be very talented,because I couldn't french braid my hair if my life depended on it.I don't really have anyone willing to braid my hair for me,and the guys I ride with are unable to braid(sad isn't it?).I can sort of do a pp longstockings one braid on each side but my bangs are just a tiny bit too short to go into them(about chin length),but long enough to be a huge pain in the @#!It is funny that you should say pp longstockings,because for a while I had red hair that I kept in braids,and I really did look like pp,everybody laughed at me.

HAHAHAHA,looking pretty when I take my helmet off at the end of the day......I gave up on that idea long ago lol.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Chin length bangs can be pulled back over your head before you put your helmet on. That's what I do since mine won't stay in the ponytail without sticky care products (gel, mousse, etc). If you can't braid, then just put it in a pony tail and band it every 3 or 4 fingers.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
when we ride street, the g/f uses one similar to that auction item only longer. we were able to find a 14" one at a (gag) biker shop. she loves it and doesn't ride without it.

gtsnowcrack

Sep 2, 2005
Here's a suggestion from Heather Wilson :

hairtip01.jpg
hairtip02.jpg

hairtip03.jpg
hairtip04.jpg

hairtip05.jpg

Apr 30, 2007
Wouldn't a crash hurt more with a long braid positioned like that?? :whoa:

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
justalonewolf007 said:
I have never seen anyone with hair long enough to get caught in the wheels of a dirtbike...That is just crazy...
My son's hair is long enough that it could in a worst case accident scenario, then again, it wasn't long ago that I saw a leg caught in a rear wheel. Of course, hemy boy keeps it tucked into his CP to minimize the risk. This does not, however, prevent tangles.

ttoks

May 1, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
Wouldn't a crash hurt more with a long braid positioned like that?? :whoa:

the foam that the insides of the helmets are out of will form to the shape of the hair if you do it consistently, the foam collapses and isn't like pillow foam as it doesn't spring back, which is why you gotta get a new helmet if yours is old, or after a big wreck.

Top Bottom