DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
Update? Still looking?
Well today I got to spend about 40 minutes at the track on a CRF230F.

The suspension is awful.
The size is better for me than the CRF150F.
It has decent power given I only weigh 165#It’s heavy, I could definitely feel it’s weight when landing the small jumps.
They don’t sell cheaply here, the lowest asking price I’ve seen was $2000.
Adding in suspension improvements will take the investment to the far side of $2400 when shipping and exchange are factored in.

I have a line on a 2001 YZ125 that need a top end. Asking $1200. Could likely get it for an even thousand.

The big factor for me is that I’ll likely never hit a trail because of the access issues here.
Hmmm

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you are only going to ride on MX tracks then it's best to avoid trail bikes. You'll never be able to modify them enough to make them work on an MX track. Keep looking till you find a real MX bike that you can afford. Better to wait a bit than to buy a bike that you'll never be satisfied with.

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
Found this beauty!
1986 CR125 fully tiddled up. Asking $1300

1986 CR125 - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Langford Station, British Columbia - Marketplace | Facebook

And this: 2001 YZ125. Asking $1200. Needs top end rebuild. Could likely be had for an even thousand. Add $100 for top end and seems I’d be in the running.

Ad ID a...19439 does not exist on UsedVictoria.com. - MOBILE

Given a choice the YZ is going to have better suspension.
Not sure what happened to the last link
$1,200 · Yamaha YZ 125

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
YZ125 is a great bike!!! Easy to work on and riding a 125 will teach you good clutch use, body position and how to carry momentum in the corners.

Great bike. At $1,200 even if you have to rebuild the entire engine, replace linkage bearings and maybe a few other odds and ends you should be under $2,500. If you can service the suspension on your own you will be in great shape.

On a 99 YZ 125 a friend of mine had I have changed springs and oil in the forks and serviced the rear but had to take it to a shop for nitrogen and it is really easy. Doing the top end was easy... just be careful not to drop a circlip in the case.

Lots of good information on DRN about the YZ and what oil to use, how to do different things, etc.

Ivan

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
YZ125 is a great bike!!! Easy to work on and riding a 125 will teach you good clutch use, body position and how to carry momentum in the corners.

Great bike. At $1,200 even if you have to rebuild the entire engine, replace linkage bearings and maybe a few other odds and ends you should be under $2,500. If you can service the suspension on your own you will be in great shape.

On a 99 YZ 125 a friend of mine had I have changed springs and oil in the forks and serviced the rear but had to take it to a shop for nitrogen and it is really easy. Doing the top end was easy... just be careful not to drop a circlip in the case.

Lots of good information on DRN about the YZ and what oil to use, how to do different things, etc.

Ivan
The YZ’s asking price has dropped to $850!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Better jump on it!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Now that you'll have the bike it's important not to assume anything about the mechanical condition of any of the critical parts. After 18 years there parts have a bad habit of wearing out. The excitement of having a new bike will make you want to get out and ride ASAP, but time spent at the start making sure it's mechanically sound before you ride will really pay off. There is nothing worse than getting out to a riding area and having something break in the first 15 minutes.

Good luck with the new bike.

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
Now that you'll have the bike it's important not to assume anything about the mechanical condition of any of the critical parts. After 18 years there parts have a bad habit of wearing out. The excitement of having a new bike will make you want to get out and ride ASAP, but time spent at the start making sure it's mechanically sound before you ride will really pay off. There is nothing worse than getting out to a riding area and having something break in the first 15 minutes.

Good luck with the new bike.
Totally hear you.
I will give it a thorough going over before it sees any track time.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It won't be easy because that urge to get out and ride will be STRONG :) But it will be worth the effort, plus you'll learn loads about your bike that will really help you maintain it down the road.

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
It won't be easy because that urge to get out and ride will be STRONG :) But it will be worth the effort, plus you'll learn loads about your bike that will really help you maintain it down the road.
The thing that I keep telling myself is that I'm 51 years old, not 18 so young guy shenanigans are very likely end up with me getting hurt. And I know I don't heal as fast as I used to heal!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
My 60 year old knees couldn't agree more :)

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
My back is buggered but I hobbled out to the garage to snap a few pics.

F01865DF-B4F3-449F-821A-9747571C1901.jpeg
E3795713-7CA8-4760-B94C-71A1BDE8ECB4.jpeg
13E25D01-2DED-4BA5-95B9-7CBE86DE63FF.jpeg

A few things I noticed:

Missing spring from header

The frame looks like it was originally white but has been over-sprayed (badly) with blue.

Chain and sprockets are toast

Front tire is 80%, rear is toast.

I didn’t try to kick it over as my body refused that idea

Rear suspension is softer than I expected. Front didn’t budge but I have zero strength at the moment.

Definitely a project but I’m still excited

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Awesome! Hey, it's rough but that will just make it a bigger accomplishment once you have it back in order. :)

Couple of things...

1) The frame wasn't originally white. It was blue.
2) That's not a header :p That's a pipe.
3) Do people really paint like that? I'd probably look at tearing the bike down and getting the frame cerakoted ... you can do engine cases, hubs, etc.

Good luck with it, keep us up to date with the progress. And take pics along the way!

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
Awesome! Hey, it's rough but that will just make it a bigger accomplishment once you have it back in order. :)

Couple of things...

1) The frame wasn't originally white. It was blue.
2) That's not a header :p That's a pipe.
3) Do people really paint like that? I'd probably look at tearing the bike down and getting the frame cerakoted ... you can do engine cases, hubs, etc.

Good luck with it, keep us up to date with the progress. And take pics along the way!
Something is up with the frame colour as it it was most definitely white at some point. Have a look at the weld at the top stem bearing.

If someone painted it white they did an amazing mask job on the VIN sticker.
36F2FE66-3725-4F70-9A50-EFA0BED74A9F.jpeg

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I am not sure what differences there are in Canadian models vs US models but the color for 2000 frames is blue in the US. I can tell in your pictures even the downtube used to be white. That frame originally was white and looks to have been painted Yammie Blue at some point. I looked up the VIN at VIN View /// AnalogX and it is a valid 2000 model.

Ivan

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
I am not sure what differences there are in Canadian models vs US models but the color for 2000 frames is blue in the US. I can tell in your pictures even the downtube used to be white. That frame originally was white and looks to have been painted Yammie Blue at some point. I looked up the VIN at VIN View /// AnalogX and it is a valid 2000 model.

Ivan
Thanks Ivan,
I had a really close look at the pic of the VIN.
The frame was definitely painted or powder coated white as I can see the masking line in this enlarged pic of the VIN sticker.

What strikes me as odd is that aside from frame colour, the bike is almost bone stock; stock pipe and silencer, no crazy graphics. The only aftermarket things I can see are the black front fender/number plate, shift lever and Tusk footpegs.

92FDC4F1-688C-4956-8C26-C25C56C5DC13.jpeg

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Hmmm... I think 95 was the last year of the white frame.

Check it out mechanically. If it looks pretty much stock it may have never had the top end off. Fortunately, those are rather inexpensive to rebuild compared to 4 smokers. Also, look at the clutch. If you learn to ride a 125 right you will be burning clutches out :)

Ivan

DavidR8

May 13, 2018
Vancouver Island
Hmmm... I think 95 was the last year of the white frame.

Check it out mechanically. If it looks pretty much stock it may have never had the top end off. Fortunately, those are rather inexpensive to rebuild compared to 4 smokers. Also, look at the clutch. If you learn to ride a 125 right you will be burning clutches out :)

Ivan

Was just outside having a peek at it.
I pulled the seat and the frame was definitely powder coated white.
B5A81656-B09A-465C-9C4B-28D35602BBF6.jpeg

Had a closer look around while I was there.
Very odd brake lever and master cylinder “wear”.
1049DA5E-9A22-407C-8761-69A22E7BA1B2.jpeg

Looks to be ground off. How is anyone’s guess.

The shift lever seal is leaking.

Pulled the plug out of curiosity.
491E8826-F4A5-47F5-BFF9-9511E05BCE03.jpeg

Top Bottom