plaztick

Jul 2, 2008
I bought a 1983 honda cr 125 from my uncle for $300. He bought it from a garage sale for $500. He only rode it a couple times.

I tested it out it started on the 3rd kick. And rode it around for like 10 minutes. It shoots oil out the exaust and all over the tailflap.

When i got it home i drained the oil. Put new oil in. Drained the gas put new gas in. And checked the radiator. It was empty so i filled it up with water. Then i tried to kickstart it. And it ran for about 30 seconds. Then the engine bogged down. When i looked into the radiator after it shut off the water inside the radiator was a milky grey. I tried to kick it a few more times until i realized that the radiator fluid got into my engine. I took off the exaust pipe connected to the engine and kicked it over once and a crapload of water spray came out. You could also feel the water when you try to kick it over.

I was wondering if anyone knew what could be wrong.
if it is even possible to fix.
Is it worth it?

please help. I'm out $300 with nothing to ride.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
plaztick said:
I tried to kick it a few more times until i realized that the radiator fluid got into my engine. I took off the exaust pipe connected to the engine and kicked it over once and a crapload of water spray came out. You could also feel the water when you try to kick it over.

You most likely have a blown head gasket. Could also have a bad water pump seal. Both are inexpensive to fix if you do the work yourself. Did you pre-mix your gas with two-stroke oil.? It would be a good idea to purchase a service manual for your bike. Older manuals can be found on flea-bay. Your manual will show you how to repair these things and give you the proper mixtures and capacitys for oil.

Don't use straight tap water in your radiators. Use distilled water and antifreeze at a 50/50 mixture. Straight water can damage your engine cases. Especially those Honda cases made in the mid 1980's. They have a considerable amount of magnesium in the cases and are very susceptible to corrosion from the minerals in tap water.

yzsndrmz

Uhhh...
Jul 2, 2008
You have seal leak. No biggie. DON"T Run the bike till fixed. And never put tap water in it. Use destilled water at a 50/50 Water coolent.
And don't kick the bike with the pipe off.
This will most likely be a water pump empeler seal leak.
Will let others chime in though. I had the 84 but did not have a issue with it. And do not have the specs.
The bike is worth keeping ALL DAY! With the manual you can fix this for nothing. Well labour and a new seal

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yzsndrmz said:
You have seal leak. No biggie. DON"T Run the bike till fixed. And never put tap water in it. Use destilled water at a 50/50 Water coolent.
This will most likely be a water pump empeler seal leak.
With the manual you can fix this for nothing. Well labour and a new seal

Dayum! :ohmy: Why didn't I think of that? :coocoo:

If he has water coming out of the exhaust port, it is a blown head gasket, not a bad water pump seal. There is no connection between the water pump seal and the cylinder. If he has oil mixing in with the coolant,(milky grey), that would indicate a bad water pump seal. From the way he described the problem, he most likely has both.

Many of those mid-80's Hondas had holes eaten through the cases from people running straight water in them.

plaztick

Jul 2, 2008
hello

Yeah i have been talking to some of my friends to and they all said the same thing. Blown head gasket.

And i am assuming i would have to rebuild my top end??? ( new piston, rings, etc... considering it shoots oil out of the exaust. ( oil getting past the piston ) Also the accelleration when it ran was horrendous.

What exactly does the water pump seal do. And how would i know at this point if that needs to be replaced too?

I'm sorry im asking so many questions i have never had to rebuild or replace anything on a bike before.

Today i'm going to buy a manual.

Oh.. and How would i get the water out of the engine?

Yes i premixed my oil and gas.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
plaztick said:
Yeah i have been talking to some of my friends to and they all said the same thing. Blown head gasket.

And i am assuming i would have to rebuild my top end??? ( new piston, rings, etc... considering it shoots oil out of the exaust. ( oil getting past the piston ) Also the accelleration when it ran was horrendous.

What exactly does the water pump seal do. And how would i know at this point if that needs to be replaced too?

I'm sorry im asking so many questions i have never had to rebuild or replace anything on a bike before.

Today i'm going to buy a manual.

Oh.. and How would i get the water out of the engine?

If you plan on keeping the bike it would be a good idea to disassemble the engine and inspect everything. Measure the piston and bore and compare it with the measurements given in the manual. New rings are a must everytime you remove the piston.

You probably have a couple of problems. If the head gasket is bad, coolant can leak internally into the cylinder without showing any signs of leaking outside of the head. This will cause water/coolant to blow out of the exhaust.

The water pump seal prevents coolant from getting past the shaft that turns the water pump and prevents it from entering into the gearbox/clutch oil. Drain your gear oil and if it is a milky color the water pump seal is most likely bad. Also, check your right side cover for holes caused by corrosion. These holes usually appear behind the water pump area.

A bad right side crank seal can cause oil to be sucked into the cylinder from the gearbox. If oil is shooting out of the exhaust pipe you probably have a bad right side crankshaft seal.

On a bike that old that has been sitting, it is not uncommon for the seals to be bad. If it were mine, I would disassemble the whole engine and replace all of the seals, rings and any other parts that do not meet specs. Inspect your bearings too. If water was in the engine the bearings may have rust on them. If any of the bearings feel rough or have rust on them, replace them.

If you only paid $300 for the bike it would be worth investing another few hundred into it and at least you will know the engine is tight.

You don't have to apologize for asking questions. That's how we learn. :cool:

plaztick

Jul 2, 2008
I just ripped the top end off about an hour ago. When i took it off water/oil overflowed onto the ground. The crankcase is full of oil and water and when i say full i mean it is to the TOP of the case.

I took in the cylinder to a bike shop and a worker said it just needs to be bored out. He said if the water has been sitting in there for a while parts in the crankcase could be worn, coroded, rusty, ruined

He said if thats the case then he would just say screw the bike. But i know for a fact that the water has only been in there for a day and a half. Ever since i put water into the radiator. And when i drained the old oil when i got it. it wasnt milky grey. Also i just rode the bike about a week ago at my uncles house. And it was running fine. ( besides the gasket problem )

In a minute i'm going to take apart the crankcase because i need to get that water out of there ASAP.

Ya i do know now that its a bad water pump seal. And the gaskets were coroded to nearly nothing when i took off the top end. So i need a new gasket. The piston is in bad condition. So for a fact i know i need a whole new top end.

Im just hoping the crankcase is ok.

Thanks a lot for your help!

-----------------------------Edit

I just took the crankcase out of the bike. I was wondering if there is anything i should know before opening it up (splitting it).

I don't want to mess anything up

Last edited:

h2olland22

Feb 14, 2014
2000 cr125 problem close to same

Dayum! :ohmy: Why didn't I think of that? :coocoo:

If he has water coming out of the exhaust port, it is a blown head gasket, not a bad water pump seal. There is no connection between the water pump seal and the cylinder. If he has oil mixing in with the coolant,(milky grey), that would indicate a bad water pump seal. From the way he described the problem, he most likely has both.

Many of those mid-80's Hondas had holes eaten through the cases from people running straight water in them.

I have a 2000 cr125 took it out today and rode for like 20 minutes and came back to shop was checking things over and found oil in my radiator fluid and the weep hole on bottom of water pump had jus few drops leaking out on floor think mine has the same problem just the water pump rebuilt and new water pump seals fix it???? Thx in advAnce

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom