Help!!!! Poured Oil In With Connecting Rod!!

Jul 28, 2004
Please Help!!!! DOing a topend on a kdx80, took the head off, alittle grit fellin with the crankshaft and rod, so i took out the oil plug and poured oil in the crankshaft and now it won't drain, i tried rotating the crank with the rod but no luck, any help PLEASE!!!!!

Apr 30, 2007
steven11chester said:
Please Help!!!! DOing a topend on a kdx80, took the head off, alittle grit fellin with the crankshaft and rod, so i took out the oil plug and poured oil in the crankshaft and now it won't drain, i tried rotating the crank with the rod but no luck, any help PLEASE!!!!!

Did you pour oil in to try "rinse" the grit out?

If grit fell in, chances are that you'll need to go through the bottem end as well. You may have the engine seize while you're riding, and that can be extremely dangerous.

This will involve taking the case apart. and once that happens...the oil will come out with no problems at all.

Jul 28, 2004
well it was a few tiny tiny bits of gasket when i was scrapin in, but i don't understand why no oil will come out, so the bike is upside down draining right now, so how does the crank get cooled???

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
steven11chester said:

I'm not that familiar with the kdx 80, is it a 2-stroke?

If so then the crank and transmission are separate. The crank is lubricated by the pre-mix so there is no oil drain bolt for the crank.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If you aren't going to split the cases (as correctly suggested), then I'd fill the crankcase with premix and let it overflow for a few seconds. This might thin the oil enough to help wash the oil out and (maybe) float out the grit. Then turn it upside down for a while to let it all drain out.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I suppose the correct way would be to split the cases. Me, I'd grab a couple of gallons of kerosene or premix. slosh it around and pour it out. If you have the means hold the engine upside down while spraying a solvent solution into the crank case to flush out the contaminants. set up a filter for the washout so you can see if you've gotten the bits and pieces out. When the wash runs clean reassemble and go. But remember, I'm a hack mechanic and any suggestions I make properly support my title.

Dec 8, 2007
For a couple tiny pieces of gasket I wouldn't worry about it, oils ok too. Everything should just blow out the exhaust port. For next time try putting a rag over the crankcase b4 scraping gasket and grease both sides of the new base gasket when you put it on and it'll come off easier. Thats what I'd do anyway, good luck.

ttoks

May 1, 2008
ignition retard said:
For a couple tiny pieces of gasket I wouldn't worry about it, oils ok too. Everything should just blow out the exhaust port. For next time try putting a rag over the crankcase b4 scraping gasket and grease both sides of the new base gasket when you put it on and it'll come off easier. Thats what I'd do anyway, good luck.

except a lot of oil can hydro lock the engine, which will without a doubt damage at least the conrod, and if the bikes in motion at the time send the rider over the bars, i recan fill the case with premix (as papakeith said) to dilute the oil then let it sit upside down to drain, then let it sit overnight to let the fuel evaporate and put it back together, any oil left in there will then just burn, but not enough to do damage.

Dec 8, 2007
I disagree. A hydrolic lock will only occur during startup on a four stroke. Also if it did occur it would be during the piston downstroke and the conrod would have a tension load rather than compression. Theres just no way you could kick your bike hard enough to destroy it with a tension load. The oil would just flow upwards through the transfer ports anyway, and then out the exhaust.

and if the bikes in motion at the time send the rider over the bars,
You seem to think the bike will somehow start with all the oil in it, avoiding hydrolic lock then somehow the oil will cause a lock later when your riding it. Could you please explain this further.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If there is so little oil that it won't drain out when the bike is turned upside down then there isn't enough to worry about. In fact, the extra oil will probably be good for the brand new top end.

Rod

CT-Jimbo

Apr 28, 2008
I'm with ignition retard, I had a couple of very small pieces of gasket get by my rag on DT175. That was a year ago. If they didn't go out the pipe, they must be holding the bottom end together. Ride like the wind and if it siezes, you get to learn bottom end as well. :)

Top Bottom