Help with New Clutch Lever for my KDX200

dfwgreg

Jun 8, 2009
I broke my original (I assume it's original) 02 KDX200 clutch lever and need to replace it. I swung by a local Cycle Gear and the only one they had was LONG and straight. I've looked at several online, but can't tell if they are going to be long or shorter?

The Motion Pros (Item 324501) and the MSR's (Item 46916) look good at Bikebandit and both say they will fit my bike, but I can't tell if they are going to be long or what. I typically use 2 fingers at most to operate, so I don't really want big bulky levers that are more likely to break. I don't have the $$ or skill to warrant the ASV shortys so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

dfwgreg

Jun 8, 2009
I stumbled on those after I wrote my post! Thanks! They are one of the few that SAY 1" shorter than OEM. Many of the others don't list. Looks like those come in Green too!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, check around some other sites and you'll find descriptions, or search froogle/ebay/etc for "kdx shorty lever". You'll find loads of info.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
dfwgreg said:
I don't have the $$ or skill to warrant the ASV shortys so any advice would be appreciated!

If you have the skill, you wouldn't need the ASV levers! The ASV unbreakable levers are really for people like me that can't through a ride without dropping the bike several times. If you don't crash you won't break levers.

OK, not true. The last lever was broken when the bike was tipped over from getting bumped into while it was just sitting there minding its own business.

One aspect to think about is that cheap levers are, well, cheap. Aluminum alloys come in many different flavors and the cheaper alloys are brittle. A cheap lever will snap when excessive force is applied. A better lever will bend.

Hand guards also go a long way in protecting your levers.

I used to break clutch levers so often that I would actually carry a spare one with me on a long ride, and always kept a spare of two in the truck. A couple of years ago I was racing in an enduro one time and fell climbing a hill. Everything was fine except that the clutch lever broke off at the hinge, not even "one finger" left. You should try riding 20 miles of some of the gnarliest terrain without a clutch lever! Needless to say I did not place well on that event.

Having spent $50 on an entry fee and a couple hundred getting to the event I decided that the ASV levers were a good investment. It has worked, I haven't broken an ASV lever yet!

Rod

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Sunlines are still available in the short style in both forged and cast versions, and Parts Unlimited is offering a less expensive set of shorty levers. Both are listed with Dennis Kirk. I got little hands so I think I'll get some shorty levers, myself. :nod:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have an asv clutch lever I stole of my wifes xl175 before selling it, I love it because once you adjust the free play you can set the lever closer or further away to fit nicely where you want it

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I run a Moose shorty clutch lever, stock perches, on both my KDX and KLX.

I also use the ASV "rotating" end cap for the stock perch. ASV has a factory outel store on **bay, yoou can find good deals there.

An old enduro trick is to wrap the bar with a couple of layers of teflon tape, so the perch can rotate in a crash.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
An even better old enduro trick to to put a solid set of aluminum-bar hand guards on the handlebars.
I haven't damaged a lever since installing the ACERBIS Rally Pro guards on my bikes.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
i have one of those MSR levers w/ a little rubber thingy on it, i like it, and the rain doesnt make it slippery eather

Top Bottom