JulianC

Aug 13, 2004
At my local MX track there is a a sharp flat 2nd gear corner closley followed by a tripple then a another 180 sharp 1st gear bured corner.

My problem is this i usally get over these tripple with a double then single combo, but after watching the SX there is sooo much timed to be saved by just goin all out tripple. I have the feeling for the power/speed needed to clear the double but how do i know how much more acceleration i will need to clear the tripple. I can just see my self landing in the face of the third jump :yikes:.

So wats your advice

Last edited:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
It's hard to say without seeing the actual situation, but if you are worried about distance, you might try jumping off to the side a few times just to get the feel for it. You will land flat, but that's better than into the face of the landing. Also try to watch/listen to some others that are jumping it. That'll give you an idea how hard and in what gear to hit it. My .02 YZ165

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
All jumps are different, but for me, it usually feels like I have to hit something almost twice as hard to triple rather than double.

I would ask someone who is doing it on a bike comparable to yours.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
High Lord Gomer said:
All jumps are different, but for me, it usually feels like I have to hit something almost twice as hard to triple rather than double.

I would ask someone who is doing it on a bike comparable to yours.

I would agree with having to hit a triple almost twice as fast as a double. Watch what the really fast guys are doing. Watch them hit that jump every chance you get. Ask them a bunch of questions about it (what gear, pinned or not, etc...). You could find the best rider on the track who is consistently clearing the triple and "follow" him over it. Any way you slice it, you will have to just sack it up and hit it if you're ever going to do it. Asking all those questions and watching what the other guys are doing will help you to visualize the jump. Once you get to the point where you lie in bed at night and can actually see yourself tripling the jump, then you are ready. Note - if you see yourself crashing, don't do it :yikes: ! After all, you will be much faster if you aren't being scraped up off of the track and you will be around to ride another day. Trust your instinct.

One last point, make sure that you are really getting through the turn fast.

Good luck!

Top Bottom