parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Hey there,

Every time I start my 01 CR250 with the choke when cold it starts and idles very high. It is jetted correctly. Does anyone know why it revs so high with the choke on?

Thanks in advance

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
Me too

I have the same problem. The bike is jetted good for when the engine is warm so I gave up worrying about it and use the kill switch to control the revs until I can turn off the choke. Most people will tell you to go up to a richer pilot.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
usally means your pilot jet is a touch lean. I'd consider going up one step richer on the pilot, but would not urge the fact, as most people do NOT ride in the 0-1/8 range.

The way to usally tell is to start the bike, let it idle and warm up, once warmed up, let it idle, then start turning the air screw slowly, where the idle is the smoothest or most, that is your spot. If it is more than 2 1/2 turns, you need to get a step leaner pilot, if it is less than 1, you need a richer jet.

Just a thought.

EDIT: BTW, my 500 has the same problem and I don't let it bother me either.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
my rm250 and my buddies rm 125 both do the same thing. Never had any problems. I have heard about maybe needing a step richer pilot but it doesn't bother me and my bike runs great.

Feb 20, 2004
every bike iv ever had which gose from a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke they have all done this. it dosent matter what the temperature is if the choke is on it will rev higher. now what i do is keep the choke on only as long as it takes so the bike will run with out it on and then let it heat up. then just go ride

Top Bottom