Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England . In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico , which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York . This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico . But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York . The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico , who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as-

Sinko De Mayo.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Boooooooooooooooooo.............. :whoa:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
H8r.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i was so sure i would get to the end of that story and there was going to be some sort of mayo famine and the punchline was going to have something to do with salsa. but it is good to know the REAL history :think: , I thought cinco de mayo was the name of the Mexican who invented jumper cables :coocoo:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I got your history lesson...........don't quit your day job!

;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
In the mid 1700's or so, manure was shipped in cargo holds, that often got wet. The sailor would happen to go below, with a lantern, and the methane gas would explode. They started stamping the product, Ship-High-In-Transit. That is how manure got its common slang name. What is so good about the 5th of May? Vintage Bob

Top Bottom