Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I had a 76 Dirt Squirt. It was a great little bike! Anybody else out there have a Hodaka in the barn in your younger days? (or even one right now?)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I have a '72 Wombat in my dining room, and a '76 Wombat downstairs.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I've had several Hodaka's, but the one I wish I kept was the Thunderdog 250E.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Count me in. I had a 1971 Super Rat. Sure was a big change from my Honda CT-70!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by BRush (edited 01-03-2001).]

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I had a Hodaka powered bike at one time.
I think it was called a "Kia", but the more i think of it the more i think i'm wrong about the name.
I remember seeing one in an old "ModernCycle" magazine i had, but i can't seem to find it now.
The bike in the magazine was a dirt only version, but the one i had was a 100cc dual-purpose. Gosh i hate it when i can't remember these things! LOL
Must be alzheimers.
confused.gif

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I have a 75 Road Toad. My father-in-law got it at a yard sale for me a couple years ago. The motor needs rebuilt but other than that it is in pretty good shape and all original. I was amazed that there are so many NOS and repro parts available. There almost isn't any part you can't find. I'm gettin' ready to fully restore it. I don't know why, so don't ask.

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

'01 YZ250F '77 KD100m
'95 KDX200 '75 Road Toad
'79 KX250 '74 Z50A

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Hey any sunday I think I know what your taking about. When i was a kid i remember a magazine article about some co. that stuff a 100cc hodaka motor into a smaller frame bike. It looked like a pretty trick set up! Bet it was the same article!! i also went froma 72 ct 70 to my dirt squirt. then on to my bro's ossa. i'm suprised i got so many replies I'm the only guy i know that had one in my neck of the woods. If i find one at a yard sale i just might pick it up!!

DrtSqrt

Dec 19, 1999
The dirt squirt was my first ride. There's nothing left of that bike but good memories now. The topend wasn't great, but it sure would climb some nasty hills.

------------------
TM250
GG300

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
I know this is a little off topic but. Where in gods name did Hodaka come up with the names for their bikes. I've been curious about this for ages.

------------------
Illiterate trail slug

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Henk - I think the names originated from the staff at Hodaka's US importer, PABATCO, up in Oregon. Don't know where I heard this - probably an old magazine - but it has been imbedded in my brain for decades.

My riding buddy had a '71 or so Hodaka 100 Wombat. He later bought a 125 Combat Wombat engine direct from Hodaka for some ridiculously low amount (under $50), dropped it in and raced the bike for years.

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 01-04-2001).]

ktmrider

Jun 20, 2000
I worked my way through college as a mechanic in a Hodaka/Penton shop (guess that dates me). So yes, I've had a few. '71 Ace 100B+, '72 125 Wombat, '73 125 Combat Wombat. Still have the '72 Wombat just so the kids can see what it was like in the good old days(?).

Dirt Bike Dave: I'm pretty sure that all Wombats were 125CC unless they had an engine swap.

Rich: Either you are not married or have one heck of an understanding wife. I had a brand new KTM in the dining room for a winter one time, but the old Hodaka? Don't think I could pull that one off.

------------------
KTMRider

01 KTM 520exc
98 KTM 125exc
96 XR 400

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Maybe it started out as an Ace - I just love typing Wombat and Combat Wombat
smile.gif
I forgot to add when he got his new 125 engine, he had to give Hodaka back his 100 engine to get the low price.

I was trying to remember, did Hodaka have a 175cc bike in the mid 70's, or just the 100, 125 and later the 250?

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I thought the funky names were an aussie thing. Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't the bikes made in austrailia? Hence the wombat name which is an animal of some sort in oz. Am i on the right track here??

ktmrider

Jun 20, 2000
Apparently Hodaka did make a 175. You can find references to it on the web site: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/

The name thing was certainly something weird about Hodaka. While the Super Rat was a cool name they definitely went too far. Wombat was bad enough but Road Toad and Thunder Dog? Why would anyone want to admit that they owned a bike with a name like that?

The Wombat is indeed an animal from Australia but to the best of my knowledge the Hodaka's were engineered in the U.S. and built in Japan.

------------------
KTMRider

01 KTM 520exc
98 KTM 125exc
96 XR 400

jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
Wow! You guys are making me feel really old (not that I look it)! We used to race Hodaka's back in the day. We had Ace 100's, Super Rats (one with Ceriani forks), Wombats and Combat Wombats. Ahhhh...the Corduroy Enduro, Little Burr, Jackpine, ISDT Qualifiers. At one time I was even going to buy a Thunder Dog, but Hodaka folded about then and I ended up buying a 1976 Husky WR250 (with finned Girling shocks). We even built a reed valved Super Rat engine and put it into a Wassel trials frame....one sweet lightweight trialer. It kicked TL125 Honda and 125 Montesa Cota butt.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
Henk- get a hold of Paul Stannard at www.strictlyhodaka.com He can tell you everything you need to know about Hodakas, including the funny names.

I like my Road Toad. That's what is kind of neat about the name. It makes people chuckle and shake their heads. I've gotta get goin' on my restoration so it'll be ready for the big Hodaka reunion this summer in Athena, OR.

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

'01 YZ250F '77 KD100m
'95 KDX200 '75 Road Toad
'79 KX250 '74 Z50A

Wombat

Oct 31, 1999
I do believe there was a 175cc Hodaka. My brother had a ThunderDog, and I'm pretty sure it was 175cc. It was dual sport. My brother thought it was "trick" compared to the DS185 I owned at the time, hehe! It had more suspension, and overall it looked like a more modern chassis etc. The Dog had a very linear powerband, and we always joked that it was electric. The DS185 was about equivalent speed on the trail. The Hodaka was alot of fun zipping around the neighborhood streets.

Sad to say, the Dog was later sold to someone with no prior motorcycle experience, and maintenance was neglected. The new owner actually rode that thing on the highway for some long (200 mile) trips. The chain was never adjusted, and became exceedingly saggy. My brother sadly relates that he witnessed the new owner attempt to jump a curb at the local burger king. The chain flew off the sprockets and got jammed against the crankcase. No amount of force was able to free the chain. We don't know what became of the bike after that :-(

Ted

Mar 25, 2000
I used to have a 250 SL, and now have an ACE100 B+. When ever I'm haveing a bad day, I take it for a spin around the yard - always makes me smile. Too much fun, even with the reversed shifting.

Ted

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
My first bike was a '73 COMBAT WAMBAT 125.

It was a really nice bike ... except for that "lever-n-spool" shifting mechanism. The leverage was too great for tose phillips head screws to hold. The kept snapping and the side cover would come loose! Then you were stuck in that gear until you removed the broken piece and replaced the screws.

Alot of fond memories though, all that I had left from the bike was the Chrome tank w/emblems, I gave it to a guy for his restoration project. Figured it was a good way for the "legacy: of my old bike to continue.
smile.gif

wrench

[This message has been edited by wrench (edited 01-06-2001).]

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Wrench,

Man you brought nightmares about that dreaded Hodaka shifting mechanism. I don't remember how many springs I went through, but I sure kept my Hodaka dealer happy.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

TooTall

Nov 6, 2000
I bought a '77 Road Toad from a co-worker. Spent a winter restoring it and sold it on Ebay. I should have kept it because it really was a great little scoot. Of, course, I should have kept all of the bikes I used to own.

TT

------------------
Why golf when you can ride?

bigfootdude1

Oct 8, 2013
Skid Jackson said:
Hey any sunday I think I know what your taking about. When i was a kid i remember a magazine article about some co. that stuff a 100cc hodaka motor into a smaller frame bike. It looked like a pretty trick set up! Bet it was the same article!! i also went froma 72 ct 70 to my dirt squirt. then on to my bro's ossa. i'm suprised i got so many replies I'm the only guy i know that had one in my neck of the woods. If i find one at a yard sale i just might pick it up!!
MY FIRST BIKE AT 4 YRS OLD IN 1967 WAS A HODAKA 100 IN A BONANZA MINIBIKE FRAME WAS FAST AS HELL

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Rich Rohrich said:
I have a '72 Wombat in my dining room, and a '76 Wombat downstairs.

Pics please. Or, maybe I can come over today and see them as I'll be in Chi for the marathon, ha ha! Actually, I'd love to move one of my Maicos in the den but the wife will not have any of that.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
They are both project bikes so they aren't worth showiing yet, but hopefully sometime in the near future that will change.

Top Bottom