home made skid plate check it out!

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
I like it. Plastic skids seem to retain their shape pretty well.

What did you do to make the bends in the plastic? Heat gun?

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Homemade stuff for rocks.....

Very nice job. Is there a polyethylene cutting board missing from a kitchen near you?
The stuff is very tuff, practically indestructible & easy to fabricate with wood working tools. I've seen bushings made of uhmw that worked on steel shafting in a dirty environment, the steel suffered way more wear than the bushings. Consider some drain holes located in the aft sections to allow mud , water, sand to escape. Unibits work great for this, creates a tapered hole & resists grabbing . good luck! :cool:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I use cutting boards to make "slide gloves" which are a glove you use in high speed carving on a longboard (long skateboard). When you are carving a hard turn you can lay over and drag your palm on the ground and these work as a protective puck to skid along the concrete. I just cut them to size, get a pair of rough leather welding gloves, hit the back of the 'puck' with a propane torch until it gets a little watery looking, then smash the palm of the glove onto it. It's about a $6 slide set which is ugly as sin, but lasts longer and cost a heck of a lot less (about $75 less) than a pair of gloves specifically designed for this application.

I wonder If I could make a disc guard out of this stuff for my rear disc.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
That depends on how much you drag the brakes (causing excessive radiant heat). Remember that material goes completely liquid at 375 degrees f. I prefer aluminum for that ( 5052 or 6061 0r 7075) 3\16 or 1\4 " thick. Quite often my rear rotor can be blue when riding tight stuff aggressively. (600 f) even if you try one & it fails, it won't cost you much. good luck

dirtnap007

Apr 19, 2009
haha yes it is a cutting board

i made a template with cardboard and then cut it out and then held it up to the bike and bent to make it look how the curves would be
then i cut it out on the cutting board and marked with a marker at the point where i needed to bend it with a heat gun and a vise

dirtnap007

Apr 19, 2009
yeah i will put some more picks up, i just used "u" brackets and tapered metric screws with locking nuts. i tapered out the holes so it would look flush to the skid plate.

Top Bottom