Honda CR 500 for begginer??? Or not

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Well i have a crazy idea to buy CR 500 from 1990...

I have CR 125 97 and it is very fast bike so i wonder how the **** should a 500 go? I'm very scared of exhaust valve opening :yikes:

Reason i want to buy a CR is because it's very cheap and in good condition. But i'm not sure if i can handle it, well i'm very sure i can't because i'm strugling with friends EXC 250 but... :p

Some advices?

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Don't buy it. You're not ready. I've seen inexperienced riders jump on something too big and hurt themselves badly. They're usually turned off to riding forever because of it. Don't succumb to the bigger is better stereotype! If you can get it cheap, buy it, then trade it for something smaller.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Think of it this way, MOST experienced riders CANT use a 250 to its potential. That said, I am a total **** up and would definatly buy the 500. Ride it, if your scared of it, then sell it for more then you payed for. You'll never know how much is "too much" until you experience it a few times. I mean, afterall, it does only go as fast as you make it. And you do have a 125, so its not like you have ZERO experience.

I say take it for a ride and see what you think of it. And if you know the resale value is there, buy it, see if your comfortable on it after a few rides. If not, turn a profit on it.

Apr 30, 2007
wik91 said:
Well i have a crazy idea to buy CR 500 from 1990...

I have CR 125 97 and it is very fast bike so i wonder how the **** should a 500 go? I'm very scared of exhaust valve opening :yikes:

Reason i want to buy a CR is because it's very cheap and in good condition. But i'm not sure if i can handle it, well i'm very sure i can't because i'm strugling with friends EXC 250 but... :p

Some advices?

If your CR 125 is fast enough, why would you want to upgrade to a much older bike?

How much experience do you have?

How big are you?

What kind of riding do you do?

(There is a post at the top of this forum, that has some information you should fill out! Look at some other posts for examples...)

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Well i just wanna buy the bike to try it and because it's cheap.
I know that i'm not ready for that thing because i now really enjoy my CR 125, i just got used to it and i really don't think that i could ride a 500, well i can but it's matter of time when i will break my leg or something, as i said KTM EXC 250 2t is a little tricky to me so a 500 is way to strong. But i guess i will buy it, try it, maybe break leg or something and sell it for more than i payed :D.

I found YZ 125 99' also very cheap so i will go for it and restore it with money i will turn on CR :D:D
Here in Croatia there is no much 500s so when someone is selling he sells in week or two if it's in good condition, but even totaly busted 500s are sold very fast.

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
If your CR 125 is fast enough, why would you want to upgrade to a much older bike?

How much experience do you have?

How big are you?

What kind of riding do you do?

(There is a post at the top of this forum, that has some information you should fill out! Look at some other posts for examples...)

Well i ride bikes for 5 years but only 1 year on serious bike. So i'm inexpirienced. I can handle a CR 125 without problems.
I don't know your measures because i don't live in USA but if it means something to you i have about 85 kilograms and i have 173 centimeres.
I ride mostly in woods and on track just for training and fun.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
You've got riding experience at least. Try it and see. I've never ridden as 500 but I know it has tonnes of bottom end compared to a 250. As for your yz 125 those are indestructible. If you can sell the 500 easily I say do it.

Apr 30, 2007
I wouldn't spend the money for the 500, even if it is a good price...It will cost more fixing it up (even if it is already in good condition, on a bike that old, something is most likely about to let loose.

I'd spend the cash on some gear depending on what you've already got!

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
If you've ever rode a really strong ( Like a race-built ) 250, thats what a 500 pulls like. Only it comes on to the power much sooner. The difference in torque though is crazy. If they are geared right, they can make a pretty cool trail bike. Rule of thumb, the larger the displacement, the longer a 2-stroke will last as it doesnt have to rev as high.

Best way I can explain how a 500 would feel is this:

If on a RPM range from 1-10, 1 being idle, and 10 being redlined, a 125 makes power from 8-10, a 250 comes onto the power at around 5-10. And a 500 comes into the power much earlier at say 2-10.

They are WHICKED. In a kinda awesome way. I cant kick start most of them though hahah. Im 5'7" and have STUBBY legs. Most 250's are actually hard for me to start since I am so off balance leaning it to touch the ground with one leg and kick with the other.

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
I tried a race ready KTM 525 SXS, that bike won championship here in CRO. Bike pulls like **** almost from idle, when you turn throtle a little too much you are immidieatly on rear wheel and it is hard to ride, i don't like it just because i have to be very carefull with throtle, i don't have that problem on 125, i just give a full throtle and the bike pulls.

I will definitievly buy that 500, try it maybe keep it or sell it. I can't loose anything.
Maybe i will like it. :D

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
I bought that CR and my opinion is that it just isn't right for bike to pull like that.
It really isn't normal bike, but i like it veeery much!!! I'm in good shape and i can ride 125 whole day without getting tired and sweaty but after half hour of riding 500 i'm just done i can't do a minute more... jesus this bike is awesome i didn't think that it will pull like that.

Bike is in very good condition, new top end, plastics and decals so it looks great!

I also didn't thougt that it would pull from bottom like that, it has 5 times more power than CR 125 i just can't believe!
I made a right choice i don't wanna sell it it is superb bike!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm glad you got it! No reason NOT to get a bike like that if you want it provided your right wrist works and has some communication with your brain because the bike will only go as fast as you let it :)

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Thanks Patman and it is apsolutely true that bike goes as fast as you let it.
500 goes strong and fast through whole rpm range and i just love it!
I just got back from trail ride, not so much tight woods but not very fast terrain so i rode almost on idle and the bike was going like i rode my CR 125 in powerband, it was just way smoother power and easyer to handle.
I'm thinking of selling my CR 125 because i don't think i will ever ride it, who wants to ride 125 when you have 500? So i will invest in 500, i'm going to buy hour/rpm meter, new exhaust pipe because mine is rusted and it was taking punches, i'm thinking of fmf gnarly pipe but i don't know if they are making it for CR 500.
I'm going to buy new brake pads, chain and sprockets, WRP handlebars and new tires. Also new helmet and body armor will help me from getting hurt :D

I really didn't think that it will be so nice to ride 500, i thought that it will just go as hell and nothing more. But i was wrong, it can go really nice and veeery very fast but it goes as fast as you want.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Kinda awesome huh? I still cream my pants on a strong 250. And I dont think I could start a 500 lol. I'll have to see if I can kick one over, if I can, it'd be awesome to own one. Starting my 250 is a big pain in the dick for me though cause I am too short ...

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Well guys i overated my riding skills 3 days ago...
After short trail ride i gone on local MX track and i trained on CR 125 a bit, i rip the 125 after 500 so much that i'm afraid it wil seeize so i got home and come back with a 500 on the same track.
Then i tried to clear a big jump that i couldn't with a 125... i was too fast and landed flat with front tire and fliped over several times, bike hit me few times on my back and right leg, then i hit a big rock with right knee and after all landed in mud... i was lucky that my friend was there so he called ambulance imedieatly. I was unable to move, nothing was hurting me because of big shock. But few hours latter when i heard what i broke then pain came... well, right knee shatered, broken shoulder, 2 fingers broken, very much bruises and wounds. I can barely move but i can sit on computer :D, nothing is that bad but knee is badly wounded. Doctor sayd that i'll be able to walk but after intensive therapy over 8 months.

I hope i'll be able to ride a bike some day... well equipment saved my life thats for sure! Day before i buyed new expensive helmet, gloves, boots but i didn't have money for body armor, if i had body armor my shoulder would propably be good. I hit many rocks with helmet so helmet was defineteavly good investment!!! Also boots propably saved ankles.

Well bike has just minor damage... front mud guard, back mud guard and one tank plastic are broken. Levers are broken, and exhaust is leaking. Nothing serious, unfortunately i can't say that for my knee.
I didn't saw bike but friend says there is nothing serious.

So guys i learned a lesson hard way... newer overate your riding skills especialy on very very fast and strong bike that you canot handle well. There is nothing wrong with 500s, it was human stupidity and inexpirience fault.
I hope i will get well soon, i won't sell my bikes! Now when i won't spend money on gasoline and oil i will save it to buy plastic kit and new racing exhaust so the bike will be ready for me when i get well(i hope i will be able to ride after year or so)

Take care!

Apr 30, 2007
wik91 said:
...right knee shatered, broken shoulder, 2 fingers broken, very much bruises and wounds.

...Doctor sayd that i'll be able to walk but after intensive therapy over 8 months.

I hope i'll be able to ride a bike some day... well equipment saved my life thats for sure! Day before i buyed new expensive helmet, gloves, boots but i didn't have money for body armor, if i had body armor my shoulder would propably be good. I hit many rocks with helmet so helmet was defineteavly good investment!!! Also boots propably saved ankles.

... newer overate your riding skills especialy on very very fast and strong bike that you canot handle well.

....(i hope i will be able to ride after year or so)

I really hate hearing about lessons like this...

Make sure to purchase a new helmet. The one you wore served its purpose in saving your head...

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Dude, your lucky. Coulda been alot worse.

Not to rag on you, but for anyone else that is reading it and thinking he is retarded or whatever: If you cant do it on a 125, you probably shouldnt be pushing your luck on a bigger, heavier, and worse handling bike. Think about it, theres not much you cant do with a 125. You just do it slightly slower than with a bigger bike.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
CarnageZ28 said:
Dude, your lucky. Coulda been alot worse.

Not to rag on you, but for anyone else that is reading it and thinking he is retarded or whatever: If you cant do it on a 125, you probably shouldnt be pushing your luck on a bigger, heavier, and worse handling bike. Think about it, theres not much you cant do with a 125. You just do it slightly slower than with a bigger bike.

Very true. I wouldn't blame the bike. That's too bad you got hurt. Get well soon. When you are able you'll really need to focus on building muscle where you got hurt.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
I think this guy is awesome though cause he isnt throwing in the white flag and still wants to ride. Dont quit over it ... It's probably the best wake-up call you could have had, whether you were on the 125 of the 500. Think of it this way, now youve seen what is beyond your capabilities, and you definatly had to have learned something from it all. Get well soon.

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Guys i have some good news, my knee is bad now but it will be ok with time(as doctor said...). So i should be able to ride a bike after rehabilitation. I will be much more carefull and slower for sure...

That jump is really big and with 125 i could not reach enough speed to clear it, with 500 there was no problem and i didn't know how fast should i go to land good so i stomped on throtle and **** hapend. A 500 is a dangerous bike when in hands of inexpirienced rider like me, i like it but it is a little bit frustrating when you have to take so much care on giving throtle or you go on back wheel or on your back.
On 125 you just whack the throttle fully and you go, on 500 you do that you are dead.

Guys see ya, i'm coming home tomorow so i will be whole day on internet because i don't know what to do when i'm wraped in bandages :D

ttoks

May 1, 2008
shame you got hurt, but it's a lesson well learned and your not discouraged by it, as i was reading from the start i was thinking to myself, buy it and leave it in your shed for a year or two until you have some more experience lol.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
ttoks - you can PM me if you want, but I am just curious, hows your new RM feel compared to the KX. I know the RM's have alot broader engines now than they used to so I assume it probably feels similar to a newer YZ to ride ...

That 500 gotta be a beast though.

Top Bottom