Honda cr 80: Do I need a bottom end rebuild?

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
I picked up a 1987 cr 80 for $100 and just finished the top end rebuild on it today. I went to the honda dealer and got all the correct fluids and oil/premix and put them in my bike. I started the thing and it start smoking from all sides. I put on a exhaust gasket and it still keeps smoking. Also, it is spraying, leaking, oil and coolant all over the place. I looked at the bottom end of the bike and it looks like there is no gasket in place where the 2 case halves meet. Anybody got an idea? Crank and rod are good, kick start slips occasionally, clutch may need replace. And is the wiseco bottom end kit good? The engine will go on a race kart eventually so it means im not actually going to ride it besides breaking it in.

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Bad!

It's a great bike but bottom end work is very pricey!With the 600+ it will take to fix it,You can just buy a good running 80 for the same price?Have it looked at buy a local shop and see how much it will cost you to fix?Good luck?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
if memory doesn´t fail me the cr80 don´t have a paper gasket on case halves, they use a non drying sealant like threebond, high temp rtv is fine as well.
wiseco kits are great for the price!!!!
the exhaust gasket on the cr´s are not a good design. once the metal gasket wear the flange they will never seal again. i put a lot of high temp rtv and if exhaust doesn´t move a lot it seems to hold up. good cleaning is essential.
boyesen (?) sells a good flange for the 80 and 125 with oring seal.

you may want to do a major overhaul to the engine to make sure what is fine and what must be repaired. :cool:

walker187

Sep 1, 2012
Im not worried about money, im doing all the work myself with a little help from a friend... Im not actually planning to ride the bike, like I said, its going onto a go kart soon. Its 25 years old and its been owned by retards all it life and finally a person like me has saved it. Im just going to do an overhaul, should only cost me $150 for bottom end kit and top end gaskets.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
a good service manual will be of great help :cool:

Top Bottom