Honda crf450 rebuild, connecting rod and pin scrtaching??

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all,

I am rebuilding a 2002 honda crf450, with all new valves and and topend kit. However the inside of the connecting rod and the gudgen pin are scratched on oneside only. Why has this happened and does it warrent a connecting rod change? Hope not! All ideas much appreciated.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I would throw a new rod at it just for insurance.
If it has never been replaced I would definitely do it.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I thought that myself, however does anyone know what would have caused the scrtaching? The rod was replaced less than 30hours of riding ago along with the piston and rings as far as i know. Any more suggestions?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
got pics?
Maybe the small end bore wasn't round, ie dropped.
I would like to see close ups of the wrist pin scoring and the small end bore.
If you can check the dimensions of said id with a telescoping gauge and a tenth reading mike that would be beneficial as well.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Sorry I dont have a digital cam at the moment. Wish I had. It looks to me like the gudgen pin had a fault in the chrome and scratched the life out of the inside of the connecting rod. We just fitted the new piston and pin and theres no play. So fingers crossed

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Just a follow up. The bike is in fantastic condition, It looks absolutely brand new, all new graphics, seat cover, polished frame, tires, bearings, and that shiny new engine rebuild polished off with a nice biggun silencer. Which spits fire bythe way, Is that normal??!!! The bike is absolutely amazing with the smoothest and most easy to use power I have ever used and ridden. This bike is absolutely amazing. Well done Honda!!!!!!!

Top Bottom