ggundamblue

Nov 23, 2007
Im about to buy a Honda XL 125 1974 here soon i was wondering if its a good bike? they guy told me it seems to flood and might need a spacer between the carb and manifold should a good carb clean and adjust the float level stop it from flooding? heres a picture of the bike... and also im not sure but is this bike a 4 stroke?

HPIM0532.jpg

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
A good carb clean will be necessary and should help it, but you might need a new float needle and seat to stop flooding. Why in the world he'd want to put a spacer on it is beyond me. These are solid, fun bikes (and yes, a four stroke), but very limited power for a 125. With its age, you'll probably need a lot more than a carb clean to make it work perfectly, but parts are still available.

ggundamblue

Nov 23, 2007
well he had the engine rebuilt with a new piston rings wrist pin clutch camshaft all that stuff..so im ordering me a new carb.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Check the inside of the gas tank for rust. Rust from the tank interior will cause carb problems. A good in-line filter will stop most of the rust. If the tank has a lot of rust it will need to be cleaned and coated with Kreem or something similar.

The little xl motors of this era were tough as nails as long as the oil was kept changed. Don't expect too much from the suspension though...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
ggundamblue said:
well he had the engine rebuilt with a new piston rings wrist pin clutch camshaft all that stuff..so im ordering me a new carb.

Seems like a good, easy fix, then. Do as Magneto says and you should be good to go for a loong time. Really solid engines in these bikes.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Having owned a number of these, I suggest you stay away from them. While they were good bikes when new, there is an endless list of things that go wrong with the older Honda's.

The camshaft rides in the aluminum head, without any bearing. While this is typical today, years ago, the methodology was not good. In other words, it is very likely the head is worn out. Along with the cam and followers. Even with a new head, cam and followers (about $1000 new) you still have an old bike.

The Rear shocks were junk, and the seals are by now rock hard. Good luck finding some quality replacements for less than 300 bucks. The forks were just as bad.

Today, you could purchase a Chinese copy of that bike and you would be getting a much higher quality bike. They really were that bad.

Top Bottom