Big94Ford

Jan 13, 2001
I just installed the stroker hot start on my KLX. That is the sweetest setup. It came with the drill bit and tapo as well as the allen screw to tighten the set screw. Tomorrow will be the first ride with it. Any opionions about the manual compresion release for the bike?

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I just installed the terry cable hotstart on my klx, also. I was amazed as to how well it worked. The bike always seems to start on the second or third kick, sometimes the first. At this point I don't feel the need to add a manual compression release ,but
maybe in a while I will try it out.

Larry Brooks

Mar 9, 2001
I havent seen the Terry Cable hot start, Is it like the Stroker hot start in that it draws unfiltered air in at the bar mounted valve? I think it's a good thing to have the valve on the handlebar, but I also feel the hot start system should be filtered air to protect the engine. I like the Hot Start system that SpodeKill made on his KLX because it's filtered air going in the engine. The only thing is it's not handle bar mounted. Check it out...look in the Tec.tips at Planetklx.dirtrider.net

------------------
Revn.Larry/////

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
If you like the hot start, you gotta get the manual release! It saves as much time on restarts as the hot start: Especially if fall as much as I do! On sidehills and such, it helps out even more than the hot start. It should also help the wear and tear on the idler gear.(BTW, get one of Strokers now because it WILL break!)Good luck!
KLXspode

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
the Stroker hot start kit and the Terrycable kit are one and the same. I have one on my KLX and it is great, if a bit pricey. On a stock motor I have never seen the need for th manual compression release, and I have owned 3 KLX's, with hot start valves on all of them.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I know the terry cable and stroker hotstarts are expensive,however, I feel the handlebar mount is the only way to go.
I agree with Penguin about the acr vs. manual comp. release on a stock klx motor.If you follow the right starting drill, the motor lites with no problem.
I don,t know how it is with the fcr pumper carb, but so far I have only needed one kick with the hotstart after a stall.

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
I installed the hot start only after the pumper carb. When I installed the new cams, I also installed the manual comp release, and beleive me, after a fall, it is a major help! Even with hot start, on a hill it's a pain in the a*s to go through the regular start drill. After a stall, the hot start is fine but if you fall and you flood it, that's where it pays for itself. BTW, save you money on the cams, not a great improvement!

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
I have the Stroker (pre-terry) hotstart on my klx and it's an easy mod to move the button to the handlebars. You need some extra hose and an automotive crankcase filter to fit the end of the hose. I made a bracket from some sheet metal and bolted it to a handlebar mount. It was a pain in the arse to find the HS button by the carb and more painful to shut it off.

Big94Ford

Jan 13, 2001
The Terrycable hot start is now the one the stroker sells. It may be the best imvestment I've ever made. I may look into the compression release...what is involved in installing it? Thanks guys.

Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by Larry Brooks:
I like the Hot Start system that SpodeKill made on his KLX because it's filtered air going in the engine. The only thing is it's not handle bar mounted.

I have the same setup on my KLX which draws fresh air from inside the air filter. I have a Motion Pro cable that mounts on the handlebar and works with the hot start valve. It works great and is easy to install.

James
98 KLX 331

[/B]

Top Bottom