How best to heat fork tube to remove seal?

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
Searches run with no good answer...

I'm rebuilding the forks on my 87 RM250, and I can't get the seals out. The Clymer manual says you can replace seals without total disassembly, once you get the cap off and retaining ring out you just slide hammer them out with the inner tube. No mention of heat.

Well, I tried that, then heated with my heat gun and hammered more, didn't budge. Heated with the propane torch for a good 3 or 4 min, still won't budge. I don't want to mess anything up so I figured I'd post before the aggression / frustration sets in...

What area should I be heating, and for how long? I'm focusing on the first inch or so of the outer tube, and moving the torch around the OD. Should I keep the heat on until the seal starts cooking? Heat a larger area? HELP! Thanks...

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
I heat them with a half jug of boiled water. Just run it over the fork in the seal area but don't do it for too long or the heat will just transfer into the seal and bush and they will expand too. You just want the outer tube to expand slightly then slide hammer them apart.

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
OK, sounds like I maybe used too much heat. Will try the boiling water approach.

How hard should I be hammering? Pretty much give it everything I've got? It seems like much more and I'm going to tear up the slider or washer.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
heat them? A couple of quick jerks and they should seperate. Did you remove the outer fork tube bottom bolt(damper rod bolt)?

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
No. The Clymer manual says you don't have to on these forks. Maybe it's wrong? It's an 87 Suzuki RM250, traditional forks. (Kayaba I think)

I suppose I should try that anyway. Wouldn't hurt to totally tear them down, and I made a holding tool a while back that fits.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I guess it would depend on how long the damping rod is. Can you tell if the fork tube is bottoming out on the damping rod?

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
Might I have already damaged them by hammering on threads in the damping rod? Is the damping rod made of aluminum? :|

Hope not, but this is a replacement set, so if I have screwed one up maybe I can scavenge good parts from the set that's still on the bike. I've only tried to separate fork so far.

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
Well, the Clymer manual is completely wrong. I pulled the damping rod, the inner tubes extended out about 6 more inches, and the seals popped right out. Good thing I bought that manual. >:\

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom