imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
A friend of mine just bought his FIRST bike and was determined to buy a CR 250. The problem is this engine has been highly modified . I've been riding for nearly 10 years and can not keep this bike from lifting the front wheel through ALL the gears. Obviously for a first time rider this can be quite intimidating. Any ideas on how to lessen the power or least the excessive low end hit so my friend can atleast ride his new toy without the "fear of death" running through his head? Thanks Again.....

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
The 1992 - 2001 CR 250's hit hard. This is partialy due to the powewrvalve set-up. The powervalve open's too quickly. This attribute's to a hard hit at around 6000 RPM when the powervalve opens. One of the best ways to make the CR250 more rideable is to install a Moose Racing power valve adjuster. It costs around $90.00 . It is a spring loaded mechanism that keeps the powervalve closed longer due to the preload the spring puts on the powervalve. Once the powervalve opens it will also open slower and this make for a smoother hit.
Also if the head has been Moded for race fuel, you might want to ceotact Cometic gasket company and get a 1mm thick head gasket to lower the compression ratio. This will also cool the hit. Hope this helps. ---Pete.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Send your cylinder to Eric Gorr to get it ported for smoother, easier to control power. You can have it updated for free when you get better at riding. This bike is too good to sell already.

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Unfortunately , my friend is not ready to give up on his new toy. We have ordered a 14 tooth front sprocket to lessen to final drive. If this does not help enough I guess we'll look for thicker head gaskets. I looked into the moose powervalve adjuster and they don't offer it past '99 models. I'll update hopefully before my friend wrecks himself....

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The best thing to do is ride it in a higher gear and get used to it. Took me a couple weeks but I can jump some pretty big jumps with mine now and not fear being ejected from the back. I geared taller also but quickly put it back to stock.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
The flywheel weights are nice. I put one on my 93 cr250 and it really improved the power delivery for off-road. It still felt strong (stronger actually), but I only got the power when I wanted it. The other plus is the resistance to stalling and they make the bike easier to start in gear with the clutch in.
Its for sale, by the way. I just got another bike and the flywheel weight (10 oz. Steahly) is sitting in my gararge.... and it'll fit your bike... make offer if interested!
karmansky@hotmail.com

Top Bottom