Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please take the poll!

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I used to hang out and post at supercross.com. All of the cool members always talked about "the cool site no one here knows about" and I made friends with one and asked him.

Hes still here but rarely posts. :)

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Okiewan...you're not tellin' us how you found this wonderful website we all spend WAY too much time on? C'mon...shed a little light for us! :moon:

My dad (Fred T) is a member and when I started riding bikes I joined, too.

Thanks, Okie...I love it here! :thumb:

B

biglou

Agent Orange (BGA) referred me here around March of 2000. He said, "Pay attention to what that Rich Rohrich guy says. Looks like he knows his shiznit..." :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In the early summer of 1999 Ivan and Mark Klein were spending less time at RMD and people would routinely ask where they were. The answer was usually at dirtrider.net. :cool:
So I came by and peeked in an open window for a few weeks, and when no one was looking I snuck in. I guess I liked the people here and decided to stay. :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I found it with a search engine looking for KDX stuff. I found C'Dave's forum and was hooked thereafter.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Google early in 2001. I was looking at getting back into Dirtbikes after some time off and was mostly looking for what the best new Thumper was :clue:
I found DRN and Thumper Talk, after reading a bit and learning I joined both, yet DRN sucked me in :worship:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I could probably tell ya if the post history was still around.... on the old version, you were able to go back to your very first post. Now... only the last 400 look to be easily retrievable. But I wanna say search engine, however it mighta been through wardy or jer or a link off some other bike site.... :think:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i used to read Eric Gorr's columns in the British dirtbike mags in the early to mid 90's and was always a bit of a wrench head. leap forward 10 years after a lot of time spent at University etc and i was now living in San Diego, desparate to get back into riding- i did a google search on Eric to see if i could find any info and tech articles etc. i got his website, got the book, followed the links to DRN, got a couple of bikes and here we are now.

Ironically, one of the best friends i have met through DRN is Marcus- it turns out he lives less than 30 mins from where i used to live in England- a small world indeed.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I found it by complete accident. I was looking for Dirt Rider magazines site and stumbled in here. To teel you the truth I'm glad I ended up here much more useful info than they will ever have.

Steve

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Just after we bought my son his brand new 2002 TT-R125L I started searching the net for info on the bike. Came across various sites this one included and I've never left :laugh:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Oh and Nikki?
1) I shortend "how often you can search" from 30 seconds to 10.
2) I added the 2 letter combos (CR,KX,RM,YZ) to the if less than 3 letter word deal (a search has to be at least 3 letters long, other wise "is" can kill the machine and return thousands of posts)
3) I did limit the number of returns on a search to 400 posts... sheez, you'd think that was enough!

Searches are the number one killer of web servers, always looking for the right compromise.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've told the story before but here it comes again. While searching for anything dirt bike related I happened accross a raffle that said "Win the Mamba for $25. and help a brother in need!" Also said that the austion was limited to the 1st 200 and if they didn't sell 200 tickets then the money would be refunded. Reluctantly I purchased a ticket, I had never done anything like that before. While anxiously awaiting the drawing I kept checking the website to make sure the 200 ticket mark was going to hit and hoping I hadn't been had. It was only after that did I start looking around this DRN and realized there was a lot of info here. I also made my 1st post and was raked over the coals by Mr Roroch for being wrong (imagine that). After I realized his intent and admitted perhaps I may have been wrong did I experience the eagerness to help spread the knowledge. Funny thing is if I had given just a tad bit of thought to that 1st post I made I would have never posted it in the 1st place. I, like so many other newbees, didn't realize what we have here but fortunantly I was quick to realize it was to my advantage to think more than post drivel.

Top Bottom