Glikens11

Jul 18, 2006
I was riding the other day and i went to stop to and have a water break but unfortunetly my kill switch wouldn't work do you guys know how to fix this. All help is appreciated...Thanks alot Greg

B

biglou

First, a little theory of operation for the kill switch cicruit: You have two wires connected to the kill switch. One comes from the coil, the other goes to a ground somewhere on the frame. The switch is "normally open", meaning those two wires don't get connected until you push the switch, which grounds the coil and shorts the spark out, killing the engine. If there is a break in either of the wires or any of their connections, including their connections at the kill switch or faulty contacts in the switch, or even a corroded contact anywhere along the path of either of the wires, you can't complete the circuit to make the engine stop.

Follow the wires to their connections and see if they are pulled apart, or if the wires are damaged/broken anywhere along their path. Try reading the switch through the wires at the connection using a multimeter if you have one. Sometimes older electrical parts will get a corrosion on them even if the connections still look ok. Try unplugging the connections (probaby under the gas tank) and re-plugging them back in. You can try spraying contact cleaner or even WD-40 into the kill switch if it's not totally sealed. That will knock off any incidental corrosion. If all of that doesn't work, a new switch is about $14-15. If you're real adventurous, you can try grounding the engine side of one of the wires at a time to a bare spot of metal on the frame to see if that kills the engine (you may have to use a jumper since these connections are insulated. Careful though, you don't want to touch the bare jumper wire with your hand. You'll know if you do it wrong, lol!

Top Bottom