Jul 25, 2005
I own a 2002 220 and I was wondering what parts to get all around power through the whole rev range of the motor. I was mostly wondering what parts to get since i Havent really gotten a straight forward answer. any help . thanks :) :)

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
With a 220 you will want a FMF (rev) pipe for starters. That will increase your revs at the top. A Pro Circuit is more of an all around pipe and may be what you are looking for, unimpressive to me though. With your 33mm carb you should have the grunt so this is where I would start....

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You buy a 4-stroke.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
http://www.eric-gorr.com/
Call up Eric and tell him what you want, a bump in compression and a mild port job will probably do it for you. If you are willing to run race gas he could bump the compression way up and you would pickup power everywhere in the RPM band.

Do this after you get a pipe and ditch the airbox lid.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
get reeds they are cheap and will help with everything, the good one should be around $60 and if you got alot of money get a new reed cage and new reeds.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
the rev pipe takes away from the bottom end. if your gonna get a pipe get a gnarly pipe woods, i got one and i love it, and when are you gonna be going like 70mhp on a straight away anyway? :laugh:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
When you are talking topend ...you are talking top of the rev in that gear, not top speed. It is where the hit is 200-300 rpm either side depending on the pipe....

Jul 25, 2005
I have heard people say the torque just adds more low end grunt and now improvement in rev. with the rev ive heard it takes almost nothing away from the bottom end and adds power just above idle to over rev (for 220).is that right or am I crazy.. :think:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
You will lose a little but it really depends on how and where you ride if you will notice it or not. Most will buy a pipe without really thinking about this....

Jul 25, 2005
I ride in the deep woods with a lot of rocks and nasty rooty stuff. im in washington and it rains a lot. the desert or the woods I still can't decide. :bang:

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
ok i will give it to you flat out ;) .

i got the bike in july with the fmf, i put the stocker back on, just cause it was a big bike for me. I rode with the stocker for a while. Then i put on the fmf and fmf silencer. I did not notice any lack of top end. I did notice a fair amount of low end power. It was not right away though. I felt like the power came when i was climbing a hill. In my opinion the power came well from like 1/8 throttle to about 5/8 throttle. (i never opened it past about 5/8 throttle cause i was in tight woods). I did take it to a straight road and like i said when your are trying to go fast in a straight line the pipe really shines cause your acceleration is very good compared to stock pipe. I do think the pipe gives a good amount of low end "grunt" and if you are woods riding i would reccomend this pipe hands down. By the way do you have aftermarket reeds yet???

Jul 25, 2005
no I dont but I plan to. either the 607s or the more expensive carbon fiber reeds. I already have the tcII and that was a good mid range booster somewhat. I plan to get the reeds the rev or the woods pipe a wiseco piston, rejet it and eventually get the carb bored or buy and Air stryker carb.. i pretty much think it will kill anything on the trail after that. :boss: but fornow I know everything I am going to get but WHICH PIPE DO I GET. :bang:

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
your like exactly like me

i have a pipe and you are getting one, i have a 35mm carb, upgrade from my 33mm. (stock for kdx220's) and you are planning on a carb rebore, and we are both gonna get reeds. and i am gonna get a weisco this winter and then obviously im gonna rejett. MAn we got the same bike... i swear, Ya i was looking at the carbon reeds but supposdily they dont last as long so im looking at both pairs.

get the woods pipe, i know a pipe is alot of money, but think of it like this, you said you were rising trails, thena woods pipe is 100x's better than the rev pipe.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
trail rider, i just thought of an idea for you. I got the 35mm carb with my bike and the thing was very fast. So why dont you get the woods pipe for your trails and then stick a 35mm carb on there for a bit more top end?

Jul 25, 2005
that what I think I am going to do. I was thinking a rev pipe because of the top end increase. but with a bored carb you still have great low end of the woods pipe and then you just extend the powerband with the kdx200 carb or you bore out the 33 to a 36 with a divider plate and you have a wide powerband bike like a fourstroke with 2 stroke punch and power. :nod:

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, i was gonna go for the carbon reeds cause i think they give the best proformance. But the 607's are not out of the question. If i have the money im gonna get the carbon reeds even though they dont last as long. Im sure they will last me a few good years. Which one's are you thinking about getting and which pipe are you getting :) ??

Top Bottom