How good is KTM EXC(europe) 300 99'

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Hey i found one very very cheap and i'm propably going to buy it if everything is OK.

What do you have to say for that year? Is it strong on low rpm like the newer models?

I'm 17 year old and i had 5 125 MX bikes so i have some experience but do you think i can handle a 300? How much time do you think i need to get used to such a strong bike?

Did that year model had hydraulic cluth? If not, is the clutch smooth or you need to wrestle with it?

Maintaince? How long can piston, rod, bearings and seals last?

I would really like to buy this one if its in good condition. I always wanted to have KTM.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Which 300 model are you looking at? EXC? MXC? SX (not sure if they had a 300SX)?

One of my friends had a '99 300 EXC and it was a fine bike. The motor is very strong, and has excellent low end (far more than any 250 two stroke I've ridden).

On the US spec models, many riders would adjust the opening of the power valve to occur at higher rpm. This made the low rpm power delivery very smooth on single track trail and improves fuel mileage. When the powervalve opens up on higher speed trails, the bike is faster than 250 two stroke MX bikes.

The 50mm Marzocchi forks on the EXC are disliked by some, but they can actually be made to work quite well for trails with revalving. Not sure how they work on an MX track.

My buddy's was very reliable. I can't remember if the '99 has a hydraulic clutch. I think it does.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
It is EXC model.
I'm going to see the bike tomorow and try it so i will decide if i'll buy or not. I got bored by 125s, i just need to rev them high always and i'm slightly anoyed with that constant squeak under me in woods.

What is the max rpm of the 300? On youtube all the guys ride it on low rpm and it rips the ground even there so i think i'll have veeery much fun riding it and hill climbing :D

Top Bottom