race_me

May 13, 2006
how many gears does a 2000 cr125 have? i have the bike but its at my shop getting work done to it. most bikes have 6 but my friends said hondas have 5, and i dont know if the 2000 has 5 also.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
most bikes have 6
Maybe it's just me but every dirt bike I've ridden has had 5 gears, not 6. My old 1974 TS250 had 5, my YZ has 5, my friends 2004 CR125 has 5... Only bike that I've rode that has 6 gears is my old 1979 DT175.

Anyways, pretty much any MX bike is gonna have 5, from my experience, anyways.

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
All 125s used to have six speeds, but sixth gear was sacrificed for weight savings. I think they should go back to six speeds.

If I'm not mistaken, the KTM250SXF has a six speed.

KTM EXCs have six speed wide-ratio trannys. That gives them a rock-crawling first, with a warp-drive top gear. The 525 EXC will crawl around at walking speed in first, and then do well over 100 mph in sixth.

race_me

May 13, 2006
kawisakis have 6, me and my friends all have kawisakis, i just sold my last one and bought a honda. all this time i thoght honda was the only mx bike with 5 gears. what about the rm 125, and yz 125, do they have 5 gears also?

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
The YZ125 went back to six speeds with the debut of the current generation engine. The last generation was a five speed. The RM never lost it's sixth gear, nor did the Kawie.

This is along the same lines as the 450s that have four speeds. There's a reason why the most popular 450s are the ones with 5 speed trannies, IE the CRF and the new YZ-F...I rode an RMZ450 a couple of weeks ago, and the thing that most stuck in my mind was the gappy four-speed tranny that forced you to use the full rpm range of each gear, where a five speed would have been much more forgiving.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
my 90 cr 125 has 6

and the differnce between a close ratio and a wide ratio, is this,
a bike w/ 5 speeds will need to shift less than a bike w/ 6 speeds if all other variables are the same ie:sprocket sizes, track conditions, rider weith and ability etc.. b/c the gears in the tranny is not as close together in tooth count.

the yamha wr is a yz except it is called a WR b/c of
Wide Ratio, see
same with the CR honda calls them CR's b/c close ratio tranny is supposed to be implied.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom