How many miles or hours between oil changes?

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
I have a `97 xr 400r & change oil @ 150 miles. Is this over-kill, under-kill or about right ? I asked this at a dealer and they laughed & said I was really being to good to the bike( not to fond of that dealer anyway). I`d think for 6 bucks worth of oil & price of the filter, better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for your replies,
knobby hob

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by knobby hob
I`d think for 6 bucks worth of oil & price of the filter, better to be safe than sorry.

That's good thinking. No one ever hurt a bike by changing the oil too early :D

Short of regular oil analysis there is no good way to tell what shape your oil is in, so any interval anyone recommends is merely a guess anyway. IF the cost isn't a burden stick with your current plan. Just keep in mind extended high temperature operation is tough on oil so 10 high load, high temperture miles will likely be tougher than 150 more sedate miles.

B

biglou

Knobby, I just changed mine in the YZF tonight again, after a total of about 30 laps of MX (two races, two moto's each, plus the two practice sessions). I am as anal as I can be about changing oil. Knock on wood, it has served me well so far with all three of my four strokes, the DR350, the DRZ400 and the new YZF. I usually go one or two races, or two-three play sessions between changes on the 4-stroke.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I change the oil on my YZF about every 5 hours of riding and before and after every race (hare scramble). I would keep on doing what you're doing as it is cheap insurance. I'm not sure if your XR4 is the same as some of the honda 4 strokes I have worked on in that they don't use cam bearings, this would be a very good reason to keep your oil changed. You should also get a magnetic drain plug if you don't already have one.

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
I change oil in my XR250 every 200kms, that turns out to about every 125 miles. I don't do any road riding at all...always us behind someone in the dirt. I figure becuase the bike is in dust the entire time, the bike is more likley to take in a tiny bit of dust....best to drain oil and get rid of any :)

Only change oil filter every second or 400kms though :D

Heilbronner

Apr 8, 2002
Good thinking on the oil changes. I change my '00 XR 650's oil after every desert race and after a couple of good play rides. Change the filter every other oil change. So far I'm looking at the Scotts oil filter because of the longevity of it, but the cost is holding me back.
One thing though, use oil designed for MOTORCYCLES ONLY.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom