How much improved is the '06 CRF450 over '05

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I'm looking at picking up a 450F this month to spend some time with to see if I can adjust well to the extra weight - have been racing CR250R's for a decade. I have found some '05's still availible for about $ 700.00 less than the '06. I understand the engine has been repositioned for handling, but is it really that improved ? I have offset clamps I can throw on an '05, and $ 700.00 would pay for suspension job, bars etc. ( I only weigh 150 lbs during race season and am vertically challanged ). Anyone have first hand experience with both models ?

Thanks !

B

biglou

I rode an 05 and LOVED IT. I was on an 04 YZ450 at the time. I never rode my YZF again, and that's the truth. I've spoken to someone who went from 05-06 (Thump) and the difference is negligable, from what he said. Pretty much undetectible. I'd say get the 05 and the susp. work. :cool:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I just sold an 02 CR250 and got an 05 CRF450 and I LOVE it. I have not rode the 06 but I am told its not to much different. My 05 turns and handles in the air better than my 2 stroke. I rode an 04 before buying mine an it felt like a sled after riding the 05. You can't go wrong with the 05. :cool:

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Yeh - I spent some time on the '04 - thought it was a bit to sluggish handling wise to suit me - hoping the newer ones are better, no one around here has a one newer than '04.

Science

Nov 27, 2001
oldfrt613 said:
I'm looking at picking up a 450F this month to spend some time with to see if I can adjust well to the extra weight - have been racing CR250R's for a decade. I have found some '05's still availible for about $ 700.00 less than the '06. I understand the engine has been repositioned for handling, but is it really that improved ? I have offset clamps I can throw on an '05, and $ 700.00 would pay for suspension job, bars etc. ( I only weigh 150 lbs during race season and am vertically challanged ). Anyone have first hand experience with both models ?

Thanks !

I just went from an '04 to an '06 and there is quite a difference! I have ridden my '06 back-to-back w/my buddy's '05 and like others have posted, the difference is negligible. I will say that the '06 is jetted much crisper and handles a bit better IMHO.
That being said, I would not pay more than $5K for an '05 (even a left over). Think about it, in 2 months the '05 will be a two year old motorcycle. The resale will be low $4K's regardless of condition, especially if Honda releases EFI in '07. I've seen brand new '06's in the high $5K's OTD on Cycletrader. Once the '07's hit the dealers will be inclined to sell the leftover '05'sa & '06's at reduced rates. As well you may be able to find a lightly used '05 for high $4Kas if you are patient. There are tons of these out there that get ridden a few times and parked.
Good Luck!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
My limited experience on the 06 ... stearing seems quicker and as Science said, out of the box jetting is a little better than my 05.

ProMed

Sep 17, 2004
I have an 05 and one other difference not mentioned is the improved valve seat material on the 06. When it comes time to replace my valves I am planning to just buy and improved 06 head ($220) rather than worry about getting my seats cut. Guides are included with the new oem head as well.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ProMed said:
I have an 05 and one other difference not mentioned is the improved valve seat material on the 06. When it comes time to replace my valves I am planning to just buy and improved 06 head ($220) rather than worry about getting my seats cut. Guides are included with the new oem head as well.

There is no field evidence that the wear rates on the 2006 heads are any different than the previous years, 450 & 250s included. What you might find is the exhaust valve guides are a bit softer in the new heads and wear the bottom third portion (nearest the seat) a lot faster than the earlier models.

There is nothing wrong with the 2006 head, just don't expect some huge change in OEM valve life as a result of switching. :cool:

yfz

Sep 21, 2006
I am looking at buying a '05 450R ,but also considering the 450X. Do the X's need the valves changed out like the R's?

Top Bottom