wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, I have the swingarm off for bearing greasing. I see little bits of dirt on the needle bearings, so I run a "Scotts rag" through the hole to get the dirt out. I wanted to spray contact cleaner in there, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get all of that out and the remainder would eat up the new grease.

How does everyone else clean out their needle bearings?

Also, while the wheel was off, I thought I would clean and grease the wheel bearings ('03 KDX 200), but there is some type of rubber-ish seal over the bearings that seems to be permanently mounted. Are these bearings supposed to be greased or are they sealed with grease at the factory?

Thanks!

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Lots of progressive washes with cleaner and cleaner suitable degreaser I use. Also a bottle brush type brush which will poke in between the needles.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
On most needle bearings you can remove all of the needles to clean them. Just make sure you don't loose any...not that I know anything about that :ohmy:

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
I always thought a needle bearing was ruined when the rubber that holds the needles in gets torn and all the needles fall out. Is there a trick to putting things back together with the needles all loose and wanting to fall out?

Eric

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Sully, thanks for the tip on the "bottle brush", I think we still have one of those lying around. I presume you spray degreaser/cleaner in there first? Do you let the bearings dry for a while to allow the cleaner to evaporate before you apply grease?

RM_guy, I thought that if the needles came OUT of the bearing, I had a bigger problem than just greasing...Besides, I don't want to remove the bearings, I just want to clean/grease them in place.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If the bearings are in a cage then obviously they won't, and shouldn't, come out. If they aren't caged then there is no problem removing them to clean them. I like the idea of using a bottle brush to clean the caged ones. I usually use a tooth brush but I'm gonna switch to a bottle brush. :)

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I re-read the post and realise the bearings are still in the swingarm,so a little more difficult than when you get them in a pot of solvent. I would suggest standing the swingarm ends in small pots of solvent?, allowing to soak and using the bottle brush progressively until they get clean.
I use a product called Jizer (UK), it is a great de-greaser and then is water soluble itself, so once all the grease is washed out by the solvent, you can rinse them out with really hot water to wash out the reamaining Jizer, the residual heat from the water will dry off the bearings.

when you come to re lube, be sure to use the waterproof grease, the type for marine applications, it will not get washed off with creeks, pressure washing etc...

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
wanaride, the bottle brush sounds like a good idea. I have used a toothbrush in the past. Contact cleaner sounds good. I have just let it air dry in the past. Doesn't contact cleaner dry pretty fast, anyway?

I don't think the OEM bearings are open sided. Those rubber things are oil seals. I hope you haven't pulled them out yet. Usually, the oil seals and bearings are replaced as a set. You can get an aftermarket kit (PivotWorks) with two bearings and the oil seal(s) for $20. In other words, I don't think you need to fool with your bearings. Removing them can do a little damage to them, so I wouldn't remove them unless they were notchy/sloppy/wore out.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
If it doesn't have them drill, tap and install for zerk fittings before you do all this;

Mineral spirits, lots of it. Parts cleaning tank if you have access to one. Stand the s/a up in it and let the mineral spirits flow thru from both sides. Shake out the excess then blow the pivot hole and bearings dry. Use your fingertip to pack grease into the bearings. Re-install s/a. Grease again a pump or two with the zerks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom