How to Lower Your KTM Without Raising the Ground

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
The May issue of Motocross Action has an article on page 68 called "How to lower your KTM without raising the ground" It shows you how to cut your subframe to lower the bike.

I do not plan to do this myself but I was thinking about taking it to a welding shop to have done. Has anybody here cut their subframe to lower their bike?

------------------
'01 KTM M/XC400 (My bike)
'00 Yamaha TTR225 (My old lead sled, but new night rider/camp hopper & pit vehicle)
'00 Honda CR250 (Hubby's bike)
AMA D37

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow. Sounds kind of drastic and irreversible, to me! Do they mention how far you can lower it, and how much it would cost?
After a year of riding my bike stock, I just got the suspension back from MX-Tech. I sent it out to have it re-valved for my weight, and I figured as long as it was getting dismantled that I might as well have Jeremy take an inch out of the overall height. I just got my first ride on it Monday, and it is unbelieveable how much an inch can help. Even though I'm only 5'3", I can now stop at any point and put a foot down, either side. Plus, the modifications are reversible if I ever decide to sell the bike.
I'd be curious to hear if anyone has gone the subframe route, and what the results were!

KTMster, are you thinking about having your bike lowered some more?
------------------
Lori K.
Y2K KTM200EXC
1995 KDX200
BRC, AMA D4
Southern Tier Enduro Riders
"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

[This message has been edited by LoriKTM (edited 04-25-2001).]

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
I just did it. Had the former Team Husky welder do the job. Then I dropped the forks 1/4" and added another 1/4" of sag to the back. The difference wasn't as dramatic as I had hoped, but I can actually touch both feet on the ground now without hitching over to one side. This should help for sure in the technical stuff.

------------------

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Yeah, it really did help. I can barely touch the tips of both boots while sitting on it, but getting a solid foot on one side allows me to start it easily, without looking for a high spot! Yeah, sure I'll kick butt... as soon as I get a lot faster!
wink.gif

Yeah, just imagine 50 more pounds, but tons more power! Give it a year or so, you'll be ready. Trust me.
tongue.gif

------------------
Lori K.
Y2K KTM200EXC
1995 KDX200
BRC, AMA D4

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
LoriKTM: The article said you can remove up to 8 mm from the subframe, but I got an e-mail this morning from a person who did it and they said do NOT take out more than 7 mm or else the tire will hit the fender. And yes, I did have the suspension set up for me and lowered 1 1/2" and 1" taken out of the seat foam. I'm only 5'2" and it is amazing how much an inch helps when you're going through that tight, technical stuff on an off-camber hill. Just a little dab will do ya.
tongue.gif

PTCruiser: I did lower the fork tubes but then a friend told me that it wouldn't handle as well in the whoops and so I raised them back up before I tested it. I am going to drop the forks 1/4" and add 1/4" of sag to the back and actually test it this time.
redface.gif

Kali: You won't notice the 50+ extra pounds until you have to pick it up.
tongue.gif

Unfortunately, my need for speed outweighs my common sense.
confused.gif

------------------
'00 Yamaha TTR225 (My old lead sled, but new night rider/camp hopper & pit vehicle)
AMA D37

[This message has been edited by KTMster (edited 04-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KTMster (edited 04-25-2001).]

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
7mm, huh? Barely 1/4". I guess you have to sacrifice either tire travel or ground clearance no matter what you do.
I only have another inch on you KTMster (5'3"), so I know exactly what you're talking about! Did you have to have your kickstand shortened too? Mine will barely hold the bike up, now that it's a bit shorter.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
LoriKTM: Although only 7 mm is being cut off, it lowers the seat height by 1". Don't ask me how it does this because it doesn't make sense to me, but that is what I was told.

I haven't had to have my kickstand shortened, I just have to be careful where I stand it up at. If another inch makes it so that the kickstand doesn't work at all, I don't know if I will have it shortened or just keep it up until I need it in the sand.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions.
confused.gif

------------------
AMA D37

denill

Aug 12, 2004
Has any one had experience of fitting KoubaLinks ???

Fits: 1996-up KTM 400/620/625/640 Adventurer, Duke, LC4 & SXC Lowers Rear 1.75-2.0" depending on model) .

More info is at
koubalink[dot]com/KTM.html

Cheers
Denill

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
At 5' 8" my stock 360 puts me on my toes. It was a bit un-nerving at first, but now I just don't put my feet down once I get going. :) I know I could run the sag a bit looser, but I like it stiff for the whoops we have out west. You can probably run 4" of sag if your not pounding 4th gear whoops all of the time.

desertratz

Apr 22, 2006
cut subframe

Yes you can lower your seat height by cutting the lower legs of your subframe . but only cut 3-5 mm that will lower seat height 1-1.5 in. without causing tire rub or jaming your airbox or pipe.A real good trick for us short guys.Cutting 7-10 mm is way too much as far as what i was told so check it out before you cut.

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
LoriKTM said:
Wow. Sounds kind of drastic and irreversible, to me! Do they mention how far you can lower it, and how much it would cost?
After a year of riding my bike stock, I just got the suspension back from MX-Tech. I sent it out to have it re-valved for my weight, and I figured as long as it was getting dismantled that I might as well have Jeremy take an inch out of the overall height. I just got my first ride on it Monday, and it is unbelieveable how much an inch can help. Even though I'm only 5'3", I can now stop at any point and put a foot down, either side. Plus, the modifications are reversible if I ever decide to sell the bike.
I'd be curious to hear if anyone has gone the subframe route, and what the results were!

KTMster, are you thinking about having your bike lowered some more?
------------------
Lori K.
Y2K KTM200EXC
1995 KDX200
BRC, AMA D4

Hi, Lori

I've done this to several KTM's over the past few years. I cut and remove 5mm off each side, just above where sub frame mounts to the lower portion of the frame, tig weld it back together.

This lowers the seat height about 1/2 ", and gives the seat a flatter profile. If done correctly, no other mods are required. If too much is taken off, your seat and silencer locations could
be off. I too suffer from "short leg syndrome". It works for me, retains original suspension and costs me alot less since I can do all the work myself.

:cool:

Top Bottom