How to mount trail license plates?

Mark W

May 12, 2004
I've searched the forum and did not find an answer to this question - maybe Minnesota is the only State that requires this.

We are required to have a license plate on our off road motorcycles when riding on any of the State trails. The plate is required to be 4" X 7" and use 1.5" numbers and letters and have the license "tab" also on the plate. The rules state that the plate needs to be attached to the rear of the bike which is pretty much impossible if you want to still have the pl;ate after a trail ride. I have been told that the enforcers don't really mind if the plate isn't on the back of the bike but it does have to be somewhere.

So, any suggestions. I would like to have the plate be removeable as we also tend to ride some MX tracks and I don't want the plate on the bike when doing so.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Can't you just bend it around the rear fender and fasten it? I seen it done this way in photos. Luckily we use an off road sticker which is easier to mount.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I mounted mine on the front number plate (above the headlight) on my XR 400. I bought some plastic nuts and bolts to secure it up there. In New York it is supposed to be on the back too. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it being on the front. The thing that sucks is no matter where you put it, it still looks stupid on a dirt bike. :bang:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
How about sticking it on with velcro? That way you can easily pull it off. Or just drill and bolt it on the rear fender. Unbolt to remove. I really like the zip-tie to the chest protector idea! Good one WildBill!!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Mine is licensed for MN trails and all I did was to cut a black number plate background the size they say and stuck it on my rear fender.I even trimed it to fit. Then I bought sticky mailbox numbers at the hardware store (chrome colored :cool: )
and applied these to the "plate" . Don’t forget the little State sticker in the corner. I have been checked a couple of times by the DNR and it passes, but it doesn’t fall off like a plate does( I’ve found my buddies and others plates on the trail :ohmy:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I put mine here

Attachments

• P1300028.jpg
    P1300028.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5,774
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2004
Up here we have to have them mounted on the front of the bike for off road use. they go on the rear for street. so I just zip tie it between the shocks or on top of the light if i have it on there

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I'm in Minnesota too, and I bought a plate kit from Dennis Kirk, but have the same problem-where to mount it. I was thinking of trying to go sideways off of the subframe somewhere, but I may just end up drilling through the rear fender and mounting it there.

Mark W

May 12, 2004
License plate

I bought the little plastic plate from Bob's cycle and printed the numbers from my computer onto some sticky back paper. I then stuck this to the plate and covered it with some packing tape. Now I just need to stick it on the bike.

I don't want to drill holes in a rear fender as I just spent $45 on a Maier rear fender. I also need to mount a plate to my kids KX65. I like the idea of the chest protector and I like the idea of mounting it to the front with zip ties as I do want to remove the thing when riding at the track. I wonder what the trail cops would say about it being mounted to the chest protector instead of being on the bike somewhere?

Where do you MN boys live and ride?

Mark
(Woodbury MN)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
We live in Somerset, Wi and we go mostly to the St Croix state park in Mn, we also go up to Gilbet once in awhile. I have never ridden Nemagi (spelling?) but I would like to go. We ride mostly in northern Wi.

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Somerset

What ever happened to the track that used to be in Somerset? I hear there was a nice track and that some people ruined it by being jerks.

Nemadji is a treat. About 100 miles of marked trails and 10X that in unmarked trails. Bring a GPS or you will get lost.

What's St. Croix State Forest like? ride anywhere else?

Mark

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The track in Somerset was "In town" and it was just too close, funny the concerts are basically in the same place and they still happen....$$$$$. St. Croix is pretty basic but fun, it has a varied terrain, but not very tight. We go there because of this, Amy, (better half :) )) is not too into really tight woods. But it is pretty close and a good time. Like I said Gilbert is the only other place we ride in MN. Where do you hale from?

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Woodbury

I live in Woodbury MN and rhave ridden at Nemadji (not that much further than St. Croix State Forest) and at a couple of local (within 1 hour or so) dirt tracks.

If your better half doesn't like tight trails, take her to Nemadji, very nice trails and miles upon miles of them.

Mark

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was under the impression that Nemadji was all tight. This is good news, What is the best place to unload there?

Mark W

May 12, 2004
I don't know the best place to unload but the place I go is at the campground right on the lake. It is not all that easy to find the first time. You can go off in many different directions from there and it is easy to find your way back. Lots of olf logging roads with many smaller trails leading off from them.

Go to the MN DNR site and print out the map of nemadji, or call them up and have them send you all the maps that allow OHM. You can ask the same question at http://www.tctrailriders.org/Default.asp and they should be able to help you out as well.

Nemadji is great. Do bring a good compass or a GPS with your vehicle marked as such so you can find your way back.

Mark

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
K.M.Cune
where in northern wi do you ride?spend a lot of time in hurley and pretty much ride mi.are these the dnr trails.(dead horse,flambeau,valhalla,etc.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Flambeau and Valhalla mostly, but I may quit going to Flambeau cause its flooded every time we go and my wifes KLX 125 does not go through much water :) I havn't ventured into MI yet but I hear the UP is awsome.

Top Bottom