How to remove throttle on 07 crf250

whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Man this sounds soo silly but I couldn't seem to get the whole thing apart today to clean it. I'm talking about the twist throttle on the handlebar, not down in the carb or anything.

I unbolted the two bolts on the throttle, which hold it together. But when I started to pull it apart it seemed there was something inside holding it together.

I don't know maybe I'm blind, but how do you go about taking the throttle apart to clean it? There is some sand inside the throttle, making it sound like a rock quarry every time I gun it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Lol, I would rather shim my valves than disassemble the throttle. There's a plastic wedge that guides the cables onto the tube. It is shaped like the cotour of the housing where the cables go in. It will come apart with moderate force. There is nothing other than the two bolts fastening the two halves together. Don't get too excited when you get it apart, it's more of a PITA to get back together. You have to make sure te cables lay in the channels of that wedge while you feed it into the housing.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you remove one of the cables from the carb it makes it a lot easier.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ol'89r said:
If you remove one of the cables from the carb it makes it a lot easier.
No doubt. I did it when I had it all apart this winter and it was definitely easier. The problem being that it takes about as long to remove a cable at the carb as it does to fight with it still attached. I guess it depends on your individual level of patience.

whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Lucky me the sand worked its way out or something. It didn't sound so bad after a session of riding. But speaking of checking the valves, I have to do that to. Anyways thanks for the info.

Top Bottom