julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol. I figured this would get more attention here from all the 4 stroke nazi's. A company who was one of the pioneers in the 4 stroke revolution, who's slogan is "4 stroke force" produces a 2 stroke while citing the increase in 2 stroke market, and a desire to be at the forefront of such a movement. Kinda ironic, don't ya think?

I think the bike looks hot as well. I wonder how much it shares with the KTM300....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bork bork!

swedishchefsmall.jpg

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
who´s next? 2012 CR300 honda?
next slogan: "stroke force" (maybe gomer want to make any comment?!?!?!? :) )

thanks for posting :cool:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think the bike looks really sharp, and to me, it's exciting to see a 4 stroke only company pumping out a new 2 stroke. 300cc 2 stroke + 6 speed gearbox = enduro goodness!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think it LOOKS better than the ktm anyway. I dig the blue, and the Husabergs have always been pretty hot IMO. From what I can find, it will be almost exactly the same as the KTM300, with some differences in suspension, etc. Looks like they are using KTM's PDS design out back. I'm a little put off with that. I never did like the PDS system.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Any guesses on how many additional two-strokes will be sold worldwide as a result of this?

This is a serious question. I'm very curious about what people think about this in terms of overall impact to the market.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
Any guesses on how many additional two-strokes will be sold worldwide as a result of this?

Well, if Husaberg makes 3,000 of them, my guess is that 2,500 or so will be sold. That's out of 7 billion people on earth. And I bet most of those are not sold in the U.S. Husabergs aren't inexpensive bikes and as much as I like two-strokes, I'm not under any illusion this bike will make a gnat's difference in the marketplace.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
2strokerfun said:
Well, if Husaberg makes 3,000 of them, my guess is that 2,500 or so will be sold. That's out of 7 billion people on earth. And I bet most of those are not sold in the U.S. Husabergs aren't inexpensive bikes and as much as I like two-strokes, I'm not under any illusion this bike will make a gnat's difference in the marketplace.
Gotta agree with that. The only way a 2 stroke is going to make an impact on the market will be cost OR Direct Injection. I like 2 strokes but in the racing venue, it's isn't competitive with the displacement disadvantage in place. When the rules elimenate the displacement advantage, 2 strokes will again be predominant on the starting line and in the sales department.
PS. I've owned and riden/raced a 450F. I wouldn't even consider myself an ameture racer but a novice. My abilities do not allow me to use the full potential of my 05YZ250 much less a 450F of any color. I enjoy the power but I sure don't use every ounce of power available and likely many riders are in the same situation. For those riders that race at the top levels, locally or nationally, they have to fine tune every aspect of their bikes to be competitive. And remember this, all this opinion comes from a guy that has WON 27 World MX titles and beat the best of the best at least once every week in my dreams.:)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2strokerfun said:
Well, if Husaberg makes 3,000 of them, my guess is that 2,500 or so will be sold.

Worldwide sales for Husky for the last two years has only been about 13,000 units per year and they have been doing really well. By comparison Husky is huge compared to Husaberg, so it would be interesting to see what Husaberg's total numbers are. It seems unlikely to me that their sales could support an additional 2500 units with a badge engineered KTM, but I've been surprised before.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
BSWIFT said:
...I like 2 strokes but in the racing venue, it's isn't competitive with the displacement disadvantage in place. When the rules elimenate the displacement advantage, 2 strokes will again be predominant on the starting line and in the sales department.

I am pretty sure the 250 class for GNCC allows 250cc 2 strokes now. At least the last race I saw (RacerTV on VS) had 250cc 2 strokes racing in the 250cc class.

Although almost all the top GNCC riders in the 450 class are now riding 4 pokers. They're be fast on anything though.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
My guess is that most of the people who are going to buy this bike would probably have bought a KTM and just want to be a little different or maybe have a dealer that is close. It might motivate a few guys to purchase a new bike sooner than they would have.

I'm sure R&D on the new tank and plastic wasn't too expensive so they thought why not.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:

This is a serious question. I'm very curious about what people think about this in terms of overall impact to the market.

Not so much just from Husaberg. I'm sure some KTM riders will go to Husaberg, and some enthusiasts will pick them up. What is exciting about it to me is that just about every popular european bike manufacturer is focusing harder on their 2 stroke lineup. The Japanese companies have dropped the ball and are missing out on a large market audience worldwide. The north american motox scene is pretty much the only powersport organization in the world which is dominated by japanese four strokes. Head out to any pro enduro, HS, etc. worldwide and you will witness a sea of smoking orange bikes. Look at Maico, GasGas, KTM, and now Ossa and Husaberg all concentrating on their 2 stroke designs and selling a ton of bikes (well, ossa hasn't sold any yet so far as I know, lol). KTM's published numbers for 2 stroke sales in 2009 were astounding. Over 20,000 2 stroke motorcycles, which equaled nearly half of all off-road motorcycle sales for the company. Lotus has now developed a highly advanced 2 stroke engine for use in automobiles. The technology behind the two stroke got disregarded for purely fiscal reasons. There was more money to be made building and servicing four stroke motorcycles. Now, the two stroke is being looked at for much more than just use in dirt bikes. A lighter, simpler, and more powerful engine draws a lot of interest, as it should.

For me, there are four criteria that are important in an IC engine. Size, power output, weight, and price. The 2 stroke design wins out.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Have the Euro models gotten over their feeble design flaws, yet? It sure seems that for over 30 years they can not put a competitive mx bike on an American track for more than 2 years in a row. KTM sales last year does seem impressive, less all the small mini bike sales? Differant disiplines do have special needs, but MX is where the numbers are at in the U.S.A.? All the "tools" who require the newest thing, the upcoming racers wanting a sponsor, HAVE TO GO WITH THE OEMS' product line up. I despise that thumpers are back in the MX line up, BUT, if they drop the existing top end drive train set ups, its a whole new ball game in the HP department! It may even make the playing field even, cc to cc anyways? Husaberg off the top of my head, too heavy and poor handling, coupled with expensive and hard to acquire parts. This is how it was not too long ago, has it changed? Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
It seems unlikely to me that their sales could support an additional 2500 units with a badge engineered KTM, but I've been surprised before.

Well, since that "whishtimate" [hey, a new word!!--less scientific even than a "guesstimate"--perhaps the safest "estimate"-type word Ever!] came out of my butt, I might be as surprised as you. But I had to come up with something vaguely appropriate. Only time (and honest corporate reporting) will tell (And having represented corporations for the past 16 years, I'll put my money on time!!). I do like the bike. But I don't like it well enough to drop $8,000 on it even if my wife would let me. I'd buy an 07 YZ250, to be honest.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Have the Euro models gotten over their feeble design flaws, yet? It sure seems that for over 30 years they can not put a competitive mx bike on an American track for more than 2 years in a row.

IMO they make a better product out of the box than the japanese companies. I'm not sure what "feeble design flaws" you are referring to, but the KTM comes stock with the $1,000 worth of aftermarket parts you're gonna want to buy for your japanese bike after you bring it home, and the R&D seems to be getting better and better. GasGas has put out some really nice bikes this year, and the 2011 Maico promises to be a very competitive MX machine with a considerable weight and power advantage over the competitions offerings. Time will tell, no? If we could get the AMA to ease up on the 4 stroke handicap rules, we would see many privateers going to the Euro 2 strokes I'm sure. Maybe let us run a 300 in the 450 class?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The ama has dropped the handicap for amateurs some years ago, 250 f races against 250 smoker. The pro races are not ran by the ama and fim, technically, yet still are? The euro bikes have always turned slower, weighed more, stopped slower and just not felt as race-able on an MX track. Not to mention just odd, like the clutch and tranny wear? Its more than money and parts that keep them off American MX tracks. They just basically suck, imo. Much better than the Chinese Tornado bikes! BUT, do look way cool, and does hold a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Trails and what not, completely different application, except the dirt.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
What a hot debate! to smoke or not! So long as 2 cycle engines don't use a gear driven induction compressor to get the fresh charge into the cylinder, coupled with a
short duration valved eccentric exhaust cycle, that also uses an energy recovery turbine in the exhaust to add power to the crank ( a very old & proven method developed by pratt & whitney on their 18 cylinder radial, wwII vintage technology) & direct cylinder injection, 2 strokes as we have all seen them used in dirt bikes over to last 40 years will all ways be the same inefficient smoking piles of hardware, that has been refined to work quite well.
If, just IF, one of the M.C. super power manufacurers would go out on a limb, & design a motor with the methods I have mentioned here, I beleive that the fim & the ama would outlaw it over night due to the possibiltiy that it woud produce 2-3 times the power of a conventional 2- smoker........ just thought i'd give it a stir! :yikes:
Best Regards!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i usually don´t go on these debates but, don´t the same happen to the "inefficient" rotary piston engines? like those developed by mazda and mercedes? as far as i know they was banned shortly on endurance races and mazda hold the patent some more years than it should. but they finally have developed a much efficient and clean engine.

who knows if eventually two strokes would get rid of that stupid exhaust port design on mass production and turn to be a much better engine?

short of time, more to come ;)

Top Bottom