KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
Hello all,

I am new to posting here, I have been lurking around reading all the posts though, so I have a gotten a feel for the crowd in here and think that you are all knowledgeable about the KDX, Kawasaki, etc
I have several question, the first of which is what Bike would be best for me?
I have been considering this question for some time now, I have narrowed it down to a few selections

1. 2001(2) KDX220r
2. 2001(2) KDX200
3. 2001(2) KLX300r
4. 2001(2) WR250f
5. 2001(2) YZ250f

I do mostly trail rides, fairly tight woods, I live in Northern California, at about 4000ft elevation. I wouldnt mind getting involved in GNCC's or something like that, so I was thinking the YZ250f, but I am not sure that I want to spend the extra dough for a 4 stroke, plus all I have ever really ridden extensively is two strokes, I dont really know how to ride a four stroke well.
In my riding I also do some wide open fire roads, my friends are all riding older but much bigger bikes, (ie XR500, XR350, yz400,etc) but these are all late 70s to mid 80s bikes, I want to be able to dust those bigger Hondas(I hate Hondas :) ) I am not that big however to warrant a huge bike, I am only 5'10" and I only weigh 140, so I am a little light in the seat. I am not horribly experienced with bikes as I have only been riding for the past year or so, I own a '81 KE 125, that has been very reliable, especially considering that I am the second owner and it has the original piston, never had a top end rebuild! yikes, I think that is insane, but it runs great,I was riding it this afternoon for a couple hours( 1980's technology sucks)....I just want to go faster and jump higher :), anyhow what is a good deal on a 2001 KDX 220r? and what would be the best bike for me, I gave all the info that I could think of for you guys to be able to help me, I appreciate any comments, and I realize that I am asking the opinion of the KDX group on what to buy, I understand that there are some natural biases, please keep them to a minimum :)
plus I was wondering if there is some problem with me being able to purchase the KDX 220r in California? and can I get my green sticker for it?(2 stroke) I had no problem for my old bike, but I am not sure if they are going to crack down on newer 2strokes or not....
plus the other question that I had was about my KE, it has started running rough, it lost all the top end gusto that it had, not much to begin with, but nonetheless it is weak all of a sudden. What could have caused this?
It uses a rotary valve, what could need servicing in the Engine, since no valves are needed to be maintanined?

------------------
'81 KE 125 faster than your......oh wait never mind it isnt,

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
The kdx200 and kdx220r can be considered the same given the vastness of your selections.
klx300 is the slowest but has a big following.
yz250f is just flat a rocket on the mx track,but suffers with a $5900. price.
At around 3900. for the kdx200 I dont see how you could go wrong at your size.The susp.
will be just about right for you.
But this is the kdx forum!
IMO poor hot starting is a big downer for four strokes. Good Luck

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The bikes you are looking at are all good, but each has strengths and weaknesses. The KDX220 is basically like a 200 with a little more low-end torque, and a little less high-rev power. The 200 probably has a little more hop-up potential per dollar spent, by virtue of its larger carb and more aggressive port timing. The KDX's are great bikes, very friendly and capable of embarassing larger bikes when the trail gets tight and nasty. They are as reliable and durable as two-strokes can be.

The KLX300 makes the least power of these bikes, but is a sweet handling bike with great suspension. It's biggest negative is inconsistant and sometimes downright hard starting. It also has a problem with breaking idler gears, easily solved by replacing the stock gear with a Stroker replacement.

The YZ250F is too much of a motocrosser. It is basically a 125 two-stroke with more low-end torque as far as the power output, it has to be screamed to get the performance out of it. It's suspension is way too stiff to really be enjoyable in tight, rough trails. The WR250F is a much better woods bike than the YZF, but it's performance is about the same as an uncorked KDX, and is much harder to start for us die-hard two-strokers.

One bike you didn't mention, but you should consider, is the KTM 200. In stock form it will run circles around all the bikes you listed (except the YZF on a motocross track). It has nearly as much torque on bottom as a 250, and it will scream on top like a very strong 125. It is fantastic for trail riding, and would be a much better starting point if you want to get into racing because it comes better equipped than any of the others except the WR. It is also super-reliable, with top-ends lasting as long as a KDX. It will keep up with those larger bikes just fine, and will probably outrun them in the tight woods. It will definately dust those XR's.

Oh,by the way, welcome to the site!

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Why didn't I take the blue pill???

[This message has been edited by spanky250 (edited 03-13-2001).]

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
With the exception of the KLX, all of the bikes you listed are red sticker bikes. Since you live in the far north of the state, the red sticker might not be a problem, as some riding areas away from the urban centers will allow red stickers year 'round. Here is a link to an article about green/red showing what bikes get which sticker, and when/where you can ride w/red.
http://www.ama-d36.org/Lao/red_sticker_explanation.html

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
That sucks about not getting a green sticker....I am mad that they have taken such legislationm, that is ridiculous to even consider that dirtbikes and ATVs make that much pollution that they need to be regulated in this manner. There are many other pressing concerns to our environment, not one which is dirtbikes.....grrrrr stupid people drive around their Ford Explorers and get 10 gallons to the mile, and then complain about the environment.....

------------------

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: KTM200

..and what was the price on that?

If going only 75mph on those 'open fire roads' is a problem, a KDX 200 isn't for you. That's the speed you'll get out of your 200 (well, at 1500'el. Probably not riding up Lassen).

This is a matter of skill besides an excellent bike, but I've seen a KDX200 eat both a KTM200 AND a YZ250..and the 'other guys' were good riders.

'Speed' doesn't come JUST from big ponies!

------------------
  • OLD member
    'oh-oh' KDX 200
    '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
    (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Speed does not come from ponies, you are correct. I was simply saying that the KTM, straight out of the box, is much better equipped, and already in a state of tune that KDX's take hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, and a lot of work to even get close to. Rider skill still plays a large part, but it is always nice to have a better starting point. I did not mean in any way that a KDX is not a great bike, it is. The two bikes are simply designed for and aimed at a totally different target group. The KDX is the ultimate playbike that, with a few mods, can make a decent racebike. The KTM is a race bike from the factory that makes a good playbike. I have ridden every bike in the original post with the exception of the WR250F, and without a doubt my next bike will be a KTM200MXC.

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
What are the reported number of ponies for each of the bikes, including the KTM? I was wondering, but I think that I made up my mind about what bike I want, I went to the local Kawi dealer today and found out that the final price ,for the KDX220, after tax, title, license, fee, etc...would be 5K out the door... Is that a good deal? I was wondering what you guys got yours for that bought theirs new this last year or so...
I was also wondering how much lower the bikes adjusts, they have the frickin' thing set so high that my toes barely touched, I couldnt think about trying to start it at that height, I think that the shock was set at its highest setting to keep little kids off or something....but I have to say that I like that bike, very cool. I am just wondering what kind of interest financing would be....
BTW does anyone have any comments on my other bike that I mentioned in my first post?
Would a top end rebuild make a difference?

Jon Chapman
Turbo

------------------

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
Why not get the KDX200 and save yourself about $500-$700? Most people say that they can hardly feel the difference between the two. The 220 DOES come with an o-ring chain, but you can buy a great RK x-ring for around $70! Look, the two bikes I owned before the KDX were both 50+ hp bikes, so I wanted to give the KDX as much as I could within reason while not hurting reliability whatsoever. The only thing I regret is NOT riding the bike stock enough to really appreciate the changes. I ordered the parts BEFORE I had the bike in the garage!
This is what I put on the bike right away:
Skid Plate-$68.95
Chain-$71
Hand guards-$42.95
Deflector for above-$24.95
FMF K30 pipe-$179.95
FMF TCII silencer-$129.95
Air box mod-FREE
Total bill was just over $500!

Thing is, I knew that I would want to put the same stuff on the 220 if I would have purchased it, putting its price way over $5000!

My total cost WITH all of the accessories out the door came to about $4700. You may even be able to do better.

I really like the bike! You mentioned an occasional GNCC? Keep in mind that if you buy the 220 you'll be in the 250 class. It's a HUGE class! The first turn is a nightmare! You may find the 200 class to be a LITTLE less intimidating, but not much.

As for the ponies...I don't know if I'd put a whole lot of stock in numbers. Too much power can be useless or even detrimental in the woods. Just my opinions of course.

Slow Guy

Mar 14, 2001
I just picked up a '01 KDX220 last Saturday. The price agreed to was $3949, so with tax and fees the total cost was under $4300. I think you should be able to do better than $5K.

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
Well is there a big enough difference between the bikes(200 & 220) to really notice? The price of 5k was just a casual prie that he quoted, nothing that we worked on or anything, so is 4400, a hard bargain or is that a moderate deal? I want the best deal possible, but I dont want to drive a million miles, so the local is probably the best idea, but 5k is probably too much. Thanks for the help so far :)

------------------

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
the KDX is the best bike dollar for dollar on the planet!!!, hows that for a anwser? , really what did you expect from a KDX website? , we may be a bit partial though, the best thing i can tell you is to ride them all then decide.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I would like to know the HP ratings for most of the new bikes. I put a lot of store in the horsepower ratings 'cuase I know that after a certain amount of horsepower is reached I do really stupid things to my body.

Fleshwound

Nov 26, 2000
Hi, what I say is go with the KDX 200, I have a 2000 model flat stock, except for a Turbine core 2. Today I went riding with a few friends on a tight narrow, you think of it, you'll find it trail. A guy had a XR 250, 00' YZ 250, and a 99'200 pumkin exc. Me and a friend rides KDX, and ate em, up to be honest. Though that KTM had some power, it just didnt get me on those wide corners, nor tight trials. No doubt go with one of the two, KDX's. and you just cant beat the price on em.

Fleshwound

Nov 26, 2000
Turbo, where do you live. I just priced a 01' 200,220 at my local shop in NC. And everything I could have got it for about 4200, for the 220R. Done some shopping and found my almost brand new 00' for 3300.

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
Fleshwound,

I live in far north cali. like it says under my name. :)

Jon Chapman
Turbo

------------------

EXC/PETE

Oct 14, 2000
Hey KDX TURBO,i had a 99 kdx220 with a fmf rev pipe,bored the carb from 33mm to 36mm and jet as per specs in kdx only site,boyesen reeds,pulled the air box lid,stiffer fork springs,renthal bars,bark busters and michelin S-12s f&r tires with heavy tubes.With these minor mods the bike was very competitive,its nice stock but do the rev pipe and bored carb and it breaths much better for major snap increase with zero reliability affects.All that said i sold my kdx for a 00'exc300,no regrets,major gain in power with friendly delivery,superior suspesion,great handling[not as fast turning in tight bush].In my opinion, on a budget,get a 220 and do the mods above and you will love it for race or play.If you've got a little more cash to play with ride a exc200,iv'e heard there fantastic bikes,i know a lot of people won't want to hear this but Iv'e owned about fifteen diffrent mx/xc bikes[all brands]in the past twenty yrs and dollar for dollar ktm is a better value in parts, quality of manufacture and inovative design.This explains ktms recent increase in sales, btw im not a ktm rep,just an impressed customer. MY TWO CENTS, PETE.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
yes if money is no object the 300 exc is the bike!, plenty of power, linkless suspention,"less bearings to wear out", and just about the same weight, as a KDX, but you have to look at the $ factor, ive gone over this a bunch of times in my own head, sure id like to have a 300exc, and yes i could swing the price tag, but thats only the begining though, just maintenance parts are even expensive for this bike, heck the ngk plug is 14 bucks!, so its kinda comparing green apples to oranges, sure if you got money to burn or your a very serious off road racer the KTM may be your best choice but for most people here on this fourm the KDX makes sence, with just a few mods we get almost the proformance of your KTM ,with reliability thats unbeatable, and reasonably priced repair parts, im looking at the big picture, and yes someday ill buy a KTM 300exc but for now im just KDX'en and i havent regreted anything about this green bike!

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
All the bikes mentioned can be set up for plenty of power in the tight stuff. To me the real question is who handles the best. I have a very modified 220 that puts out a ton of power, but when you compare handling to the KTM 200 to me there is no contest. The KTM feels much more nimble in the woods. It has better ergonomics (for me anyway), suspension and out of the box is still faster than my KDX. If you can afford the difference in price the KTM is a better bike.
Being newer to riding though the extra money is probably not gona pay off that much. The KDX is light years ahead of what you have now and will be a blast for you to ride.

Off in left field a little bit, you could consider a KX 125 with the 144 big bore kit. My friend has one and it screams on top with good bottom end response. It weighs next to nothing. Out in the woods you can slap this thing around like the school slut on prom night.

Just my two cents

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
Hi guys,

I own a '00 KDX200 with Fredette fork springs and a FMF torque pipe. It is a great bike considering the price. Mine was $4050 out the door. This week I also picked up a '01 WR250F. Both bikes are really close in power output. The WR's suspension is light years better than the KDX though. I feel as though I can go faster with less effort on the WR. The KDX might have a little more bottom power. It really comes down to price. I like my WR more than my KDX but it was $6200 out the door. That $2150 difference can go a long way toward mods or whatever. Dollar for dollar you can't do better.

LawManNv

------------------
'01 WR250F
'00 KDX200 (For Sale)

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
LawmanNV,

How much for your KDX 200?

Jon Chapman
Turbo

------------------

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
KDX_Turbo,

I am going to try to get what I still owe out of it so you probably could find a better deal. I owe about $3200 still. The bike is '00 KDX200 with a FMF pipe, Renthals, hand guards, moose skid plate, rear disk guard, and Fredette fork springs. It is in very good condition and has about half the tread on the origonal rear tire. Let me know if you are still interested.

LawManNv

ps - Is Shingletown off of or near highway 44?

------------------
'01 WR250F
'00 KDX200 (For Sale)

KDX_Turbo

Mar 13, 2001
well it is actually right on 44, I am about 4 hours from Reno. Not many people live around here, it is cool. I can go outside start up my bike and just ride off, I don't have to take my bike to any special place to ride or anything.
How did you know anything about Shingletown?!?!? that is odd!

Jon Chapman
Turbo

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
I used to live near Susanville and went to school in Redding so I spent a lot of time traveling between the two. I knew I recognized the name from somewhere.

LawManNv

------------------
'01 WR250F
'00 KDX200 (For Sale)

Top Bottom