I keep hearing about this "attitude"

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Okie, the 'attitude' you referred to originally, which was in regards to the(pre & post) pay-per-view, has NOT changed one bit since 1999. It has remained absolutely constant, IMO.

The $120 I spent to join (and was one of the first) was worth every penny. Once again, it (the fee) did not change the collective attitude.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
I'm glad you brought that up Tony because I think it's an important point. Peoples thoughts and their personal experiences on those are a truly valuable part of a site like this. In my mind the value of the site is diminshed when people don't share their experience.

The sticky part always seems to come back to the usual suspects who insist on parroting back bad info from equally bad sources or who present some half-baked opinion as absolute undeniable fact ...

Rich: While I agree that personal experience and impressions are an important reason why the site "works", we ALL need to remember when we are posting our opinion we are in danger of someone finding a fact that repudiates our opinion. There is nothing wrong at this point in any conversation, but we should not get bowed up like a Cut Worm when someone tells us our opinion is not fact and therefore incorrect.

Regarding the repeated duplication of information and repeating of threads ... it is kinda like the song Hey Jude by the Beatles. I enjoyed it the FIRST 10000 times I heard it, but it has gotten old. Sites that have not experience this phenomenon will once they mature to the level of DRN.

Suggestion .... like Okie needs something else to do ;)

Perhaps one way to help solve the appearance of cutting people off is to build a tech area in the site that is divided much like the reviews and just post the link to the particular area of the tech forum for the "information" and lock the thread. These threads could (and perhaps should) be locked so the debate doesn't continue on until the sunset of time. Maybe they are not even threads, but perhaps articles. They should not debate the merits of Shell vs Motul oil for example, lets those threads continue, but how many times have we seen threads asking what weight of oil to use. Maybe this would solve the problem, at least somewhat.

Originally posted by Strick
Okie, the 'attitude' you referred to originally, which was in regards to the(pre & post) pay-per-view, has NOT changed one bit since 1999. It has remained absolutely constant, IMO.

The $120 I spent to join (and was one of the first) was worth every penny. Once again, it (the fee) did not change the collective attitude.

Although I have not been here as long, I agree 100%. I was not here pre pay-for-view, but arrived in time to see much of the debate.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tony - We have been trying to do something like that with the Technical Archives forum, but truth to tell we probably haven't been particularly dilligent about doing it. Hopefully with some new blood in the mod group we'll be stirred to do better follow up.

The only down side to locking threads like that is missing the opportunity to hear new thoughts on a subject. Granted most of the time it's the same old song resung but occasionally the gems of info pop up that make it worthwhile to wade through. A perfect example was the 9 zillionth oil thread where Pam from Powroll posted some great info and sparked a really fun, interesting and spirited debate. We may not have captured the final word on the subject but we certainly managed to look at things from a different perspective and had some fun in the process. Knowledge tends to be dynamic, so it's tough to know what the last word really is. ;) It's a tough call either way, so all we can do is try hard to do what is best for the majority of the members and hope we don't step on it too often in the process.

Strick - Nice to see you're still here. Seems like you don't post as much as you used to which is a shame IMHO. (that damn opinion thing again :) )

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Rich - I understand what you mean. I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I am not trying to shut down discussion as much I am trying to gang it in one place. By that I mean a forum that when opened lists the various procedures/materials ... whatever. Inside of that would be a more specific form on one idea or material that the accumulated knowledge in the form of articles or links to industry articles on the subject is placed. That same forum would also be where the discussion threads are posted.

For example I just stumbled across a series of articles in the MX-Tech site about suspension that were great. Other people here now may know exactley wher to find the info, but this would assist newbies.

Last edited:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Lets hear it Mr Luckey! We is all friends here! :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Spill it Edward, or I'll tell stories about you.

Top Bottom