kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
first of all where can i get a hebo clutch wheres the website that sells them?? which do you guys like better the magura or hebo im sick of cable b/s and getting dirt and adjusting i want ahydraulic where can i get it

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Hydraulic clutches are good, but can be really problematic, especially if you drop the bike and air gets into the system. They have been standard on trials bikes for years, where really accurate clutch control at low rev's is a must, but for MX the only benefit I can see is the lightness, and if you route and lube a cable clutch properly it should be almost as light (some 500cc bikes are an exception).
I have lost count of the number of DNE and DNF's I have seen at the track due to hydraulic clutches failing!...even amongst top riders who have good mechanics, there's a lesson to be learnt there somehere.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
You can get the Hebo hydraulic clutch from eRider

Even though eRider sells stuff mostly for KTM's, the Hebo kit that I just bought from them comes with many different parts that makes it universal for most bikes. They've even translated the instructions in case you don't know Spanish. I chose the Hebo over the Magura after doing some research. Here's the general consensus:

1. Prices are similar.
2. Most people say the Magura clutch pull is not much different from stock; Hebo's pull is supposedly lighter than most stock clutches.
3. Some have said that the Magura clutch is either "off" or "on", while the Hebo has better modulation. I've noticed this on my KTM, in comparison to my KX's cable clutch.
4. The Magura slave unit is smaller than Hebo's, but I've read that it is more prone to leaking. The Hebo seems to have characteristics of a brake system, with standard-looking banjo connections on the end of a steel braided line. It even uses DOT4 brake fluid (Magura uses oil).

I haven't yet mounted my Hebo yet on the KX (just got it last night), but will have a full review and pictures on my website. In the mean time, you can read Patman's review of the Hebo clutch on an older model KTM:

Patman's Review of Hebo Clutch

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Anyone try a Hebo hydraulic clutch kit on a late model XR-100? Looking for a solution that will provide an easier pull for my 10 year old (MSR Raptor lever is an option, but looking for more).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks John... great pictures and installation write-up.

My son got some more seat time on the 100 yesterday. Since this is his first manual clutch bike, and he hasn't been spoiled by a juice clutch yet, I'm going to wait and see how he adapts to it out in the woods.

I contacted Kevin at eRider, and the Hebo kit will work with the CRF-100, so that is a viable option.

marc_w

Apr 2, 2004
I just put a Magura on my bike...

Previously, the stock clutch was awefull. I didn't like the stock Suzuki leverage, and it didn't offer good modulation. When the bike was hot, the clutch would usually turn into a on/off light switch. It was IMPOSSIBLE to moduate.

I put on a MSR Raptor setup. It helped, but the pull wasn't any lighter and moduation was only slightly improved. I still suffered from the light switch effect a bit. This setup felt a lot like a regular old CR clutch perch.

The Magura offers slightly lighter pull... (actually noticeable, as opposed to the raptor). Moduation is SPOT ON every time. I felt the light-switch syndrome starting the other day, but I was still able to modualte the clutch enough to pull through tricky rock gardens without the use of many swear words.

What I don't like about the Magura - the slave cylinder doesn't seal in the entry hole in the left side engine case. The fit is loose to allow the slave cylinder to align with the internal clutch arm. That can allow water/dirt into the flywheel compartment.

The second I just find a little different. The full range of pull on the lever is quite short. Well, shorter than a cable setup is. With the lever adjusted out to a comfortable reach (almost full out), I pull in the clutch with my two fingers. It "bottoms out" before the lever reaches my other two fingers on the grip. I guess that's a little cool, because my knuckles dont get all irritated from the lever grinding against them in the gnarly stuff.

If I can get the sealing of the slave cylinder figured out, and the clutch lasts a season of hare scrambling, I'll be sold for life.

jesse360rider

Jun 28, 2010
KaTooMer said:
You can get the Hebo hydraulic clutch from eRider

Even though eRider sells stuff mostly for KTM's, the Hebo kit that I just bought from them comes with many different parts that makes it universal for most bikes. They've even translated the instructions in case you don't know Spanish. I chose the Hebo over the Magura after doing some research. Here's the general consensus:

1. Prices are similar.
2. Most people say the Magura clutch pull is not much different from stock; Hebo's pull is supposedly lighter than most stock clutches.
3. Some have said that the Magura clutch is either "off" or "on", while the Hebo has better modulation. I've noticed this on my KTM, in comparison to my KX's cable clutch.
4. The Magura slave unit is smaller than Hebo's, but I've read that it is more prone to leaking. The Hebo seems to have characteristics of a brake system, with standard-looking banjo connections on the end of a steel braided line. It even uses DOT4 brake fluid (Magura uses oil).

I haven't yet mounted my Hebo yet on the KX (just got it last night), but will have a full review and pictures on my website. In the mean time, you can read Patman's review of the Hebo clutch on an older model KTM:

Patman's Review of Hebo Clutch
Hey KaToomer you seem to know what your talkin about with clutches. Need a question answered so here goes. Do you know what KTM clutches will fit my 96 360? Chipped a tooth off the big gear on back of it and im struggling to find the part. I found one on ebay for a 98 125sx and im not so sure if it will fit. Any thoughts?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom