Wyvern77

Mar 24, 2001
i waz wondering how does the Idle gear works?
& how will it help on my KLX250?
I have a pumper carb & high cams threw in already......

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I assume you're talking about the idler gear fix that Stroker Speed Equip. sells, correct?

If so, it's not a performace product, it's a fix for a weak Kawasaki part which has a tendency to fail.

PJ

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
No I guess you won't,have to install it until it fails (and it will if you are hot rodding the bike) and the engine cases are broken. the part is a lot less expensive than new engine cases

Big94Ford

Jan 13, 2001
I replaced mine several weeks ago. The amount of play on the stock gear is unbelievable. I would replace it...enless you want to rebuild the lower end cases

Wyvern77

Mar 24, 2001
hmmmmm, as I don't really ride aggressively, do I still need to change a new one now?
I am usin the bike more on as a form of transport more than in trail.......

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Yes, the gear will fail just kicking the engine over, it is part of the kickstart system, the gear is
brittle and fits loose on its shaft

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
thats the problem, they might not break for years, or they might break the first time you start the bike.

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
i changed my idler gear just before my 6 months warranty expired. i would rather spend the $90 on tires and gas, but i would rather not spend 100's on a grenaded engine, so i bit the bullet. i was quite surprised with how much better the stroker gear fit on the shaft, so i'm glad i did it now. as far as i'm concerned, that gear is the only really lame thing about the klx300. the other stuff that people spaz out about (cv carb, restrictive headpipe and airbox, etc...) are either easy to fix yourself, or don't really affect me for trailriding and beginning enduros until i get some more riding skills.
mw

Top Bottom