a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've heard alot about the state, some good, some bad, but I'd like to know where the premium place to live in Georgia would be. I'd like to be close to the ocean, I think. Let me hear what you've got to offer! Thanks
Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Just shopping around, so far... I was thinking around Savannah?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Elk - I may be able to tell you a little more about Savannah in the coming months. My job is that of a Project Manager building Dealerships and Parts & Service centers for the company that I work for (International Truck and Engine Corp.). We just got a dealer in Savannah that wants to build a secondary dealership and a new parts and service center so I will be spending the next 6-8 months down there. From what I have heard it is a pretty desirable place to live but I do not know too much about it. I plan to check out the local riding and living conditions with the possibility of moving there myself in the future (probably 10 years for me).

I gotta believe the cost of living is less than what you are used to in Cali.

Cheers,

JimK (a.k.a. KelvinKDX)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'll look for more updates as time goes on, thx.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Stay outa the main cities, find a small town near Savannah to stay away from the hustle of a well known tourist location. Find a house with acreage so you can build you a track. :cool:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The further north the better! I spent the first 6 months of last year out there in Statesboro, about 45-50 miles west of Savannah. No place to ride unless you want to pay to hit a track, and even those were few and far between. It seems any kind of public trail lies north of Atlanta and was quite the haul to get to. From a dirt biking standpoint I really didn't like it out there. Savannah was a cool place to hang out though.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't think you'll find the ocean here in the southeast as nice as what little I've seen of it in CA.

Personally, I think northeast GA is the nicest part of the state weather-wise. They also have some hills and nice roads for street bike riding. We don't have the open riding areas like you're used to, but there are some decent tracks within a couple hours.

My vote....AUGUSTA!

You better call me so I can get the rest of the story and help you pick a place, BR-549.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I was contemplating a move to GA last year and it did not materialize, as with most of my contemplations. However, I was more focused on the Marietta / Alpharetta area. There's a lot of growth and things to do and culture in the Atlanta / suburbs area. I think I started a thread on where to ride as well and there are quite a few places.

We would miss you in Cali, Elk!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
You better call me so I can get the rest of the story and help you pick a place, BR-549.
You gonna sell him a car as well, Junior Samples?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Personally, I like NW GA, that is where my other house is. There are several good riding spots within a few hours, Savannah is about 7 hours. The weather is mild, only 1 or 2 days of snow per year. It is not in the direct line of hurricane traffic, and the tornados tend to stay to the west. It is not overly mountainous, but there are plenty of hills. Nearby tracks include: BremenMX (Bremen, GA), Calhoun Supercross (Calhoun, GA), Twin Peaks (Tunnel Hill, GA), Lazy River (Chatsworth, GA), Chattanooga MX (Right at the TN border, but in GA), Mill Creek (in AL but it only took me 2 hours to get there. There is a new riding area in the Cedartown area as well (Highland Park).

There are also several places to ride in the Macon area.

South Georgia, unfortunately, doesn't have much of anything. Savanna could be an exception, but I don't spend time down there. It is pretty near Jacksonville, FL though.

Land is reasonably cheap throughout GA, as long as you stay more than 30 minutes away from Atlanta.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
With the cost of housing in CA, he should be able to get a couple bucks for his shack in the hood and be able to afford a single wide to park out behind our place and a nice, waterproof extension cord to plug into the neighor's.

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
Northwest Ga has some great home prices, but I don't know that the economy is up to par. So-so I guess.
There are great places to ride tracks or trails all over Alabama, N. Ga, TN and upstate SC.
If you were to commute to Chattanooga you would do quite well, but Savannah is out in the sticks for riding. Nothing within a couple hours. Plus the closer you get to the coast, the more soggy your nutz get from all the humidity and you never know, one night a huricane might blow the roof off your house. I hate the coast, can ya tell? Humid, flat, smelly, ...and humid.
Stay north and west of ATL and you'll be happy.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Savannah is a seriously nice city. It's like New Orleans, but without the puke/urine/beer/trailer park factor. It gets hot there, though. Africa hot. Third degree burns hot.

Athens is also cool, and the southwestern part of the state is close to the world's most beautiful beaches - the Panhandle of FL. Sugar white sand, emerald water, and less development than the east coast.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
We are planning on finding land out there somewhere, probably within the next 5 years. We'll build the house later when the time comes. Things out here flat out suck, other than the riding. I'll finish out my career here then move on. With what we can get for this dump here in Anaheim, I can prolly find at least a single wide minus the trannys in the front yard, those are extree. Humidity sucks, can we pass on that? How's the suburbs around Atlanta? What about further north like Tenn, Virg or the Carolina's? I need to steer way clear of Gomer though, central South Carolina is out! Speaking of Gomer, call me again, can't find your number slick.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Dont forget the bug spray. :ohmy: No, seriously. They have spiders there the size of octopuses. :yikes:

We all know how well you like spiders. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
My personal opinion is that the Upstate of South Carolina is the best place. Either Anderson (near GA border), Greenville or Spartanburg (near NC border) would be my preference (I live in Spartanburg).

Close to the mountains. Close to the beach. Close to Charlotte. Close to Atlanta. Decent distance from Knoxville.

Decent riding in NC and lots of good riding in GA.

But the bible thumpers piss me off but it is worth it IMO.

Ivan

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My brother-in-law lives in Lakeview, SC. Nice area for sure. Carolina's, hmmmm....

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Things out here flat out suck, other than the riding.
Now you've done it. Cali peeps are all supposed to stick together with the "paradise" thing. Now, you've got to move.

Top Bottom