richwhiteohio

Feb 18, 2004
Mine lost power on the high end first. Then it started loosing more and more power making me think something was wrong with my jets. After fooling with my carb a while I thought my coil might not be fully performing. ( I did not want to consider the stator because of the price.) But then I lost all spark replaced the coil only to find it was the stator. Mine was easy to trouble shoot once I removed the Magneto. One of the small bolts holding the larger stator coil fell out and ripped a gash through the wires.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
BINGO!!!!!! That's what I wanted to here. Expecting one in the mail today and will post the results. Question---the Electrex pdf says to use a crimp instead of solder on the wire attachment :yeehaw: ---how did you make your electrical connection??

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
yep mine did the same thing. then started getting real hard to start. I had to lengthen my wire to reach the old terminal. I just soldered a piece on and then shrink wrapped it.

use some dielectric grease on your connections too.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
got the new stator in last night. rust and crud everywhere.
don't have a torque wrench, so winging it temporarily to see if this solves the problem.

the electrex instructions seemed a little off to me in regard to the placement of the ground clip---it could only be mounted on the bottom of the stator, not at the top by the screw head per instructions. soldering the red/white wire was an sob, as my experience is shall we say---limited!! testing the new coil before install gave me confidence in the job though as ohms at what looked like 380-400(old one tested at 300)
and also got nice fat blue spark to plug.

noticed a wee bit of play in/out and side to side with the flywheel---very little and no oil leaking :think:

snugging down the flywheel was tough. do you use any kind of lubricant on the shaft so it slides on easier and gives an accurate torque reading?

finished up 10PM est, so too late to try out. might get the pie and tank and.....put on tonight for the final test.

will keep you posted and as usual, THANKS for all the help!

oh, one more thing>>Wibby<<i ride a kdx

Hah. sounds like you need to be in a 12 step program :laugh:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I had a fairly new stator go on me because I thought my water ingest problem was from a bad flywheel cover. I purchased a boyesen cover and thought that and a gasket would seal it. I burnt it out and when I opened the cover about 1/2 cup of water came out. The pressure washer got through and the boyesen cover is not completely flat as tested with my feeler gauge. Moral is remove after pressure washing to blow the water out. or silicone the hell out of it. I do the cover removal.

If the Electrex is put on backwards your engine will ignite before it should and thus make your engine run backwards. That was a real pain for me.
Many times stator problems are falsely diagnosed to other areas. Best thing to do is test your unit with the ohms meter. You don't have to take off your cover, just attach red/white and ground the other probe and make sure you zero out your ohms meter first before doing the test.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Yeah Ted, I think the water got mine also. Last month I found 1/2 a cup of water in there. Drained it out and siliconed the hell out of it and dern if it wasn't full of water the next time I removed the cover. I think it must be coming in around the rubber wire boot even though I used a double buttload of sealer there!!! As far as the stator coil mounting backwards?? It matches the direction shown on the installation sheet and the ground(?)tab was also toward the front of the bike on the old one---I'll be careful not to drop the clutch a upon initial testing, unless it's being recorded on video. So, how did you eventually get yours to seal properly? :worship: On the bright side---it only took 14 years to give up the ghost!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
cicone said:
snugging down the flywheel was tough. do you use any kind of lubricant on the shaft so it slides on easier and gives an accurate torque reading?

Don't put any lubricant on the end of the crankshaft to ease the flywheel installation. You want a tight, press fit. If lubricated, the flywheel could spin on the end of the crankshaft and shear the woodruff key. If this happens, your timing will get thrown off and the bike won't run. Murhpy's Law says it will shear in the middle of nowhere 20 miles from your truck, so if you did put some lube on there, I'd pop the flywheel off and clean it before you ride again.

When my stator went bad on my '84 KDX, it first started running bad at high rpm when hot. Then it got very tough to start the bike.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
hey Dave, I didn't use any lube, but Fredette says he likes to use a light coat of wd40 to prevent rust---I guess water just finds a way in there??

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Update for Electrexusa coil users. The diagram on the instructions can be confusing when interpreted with the text.
According to Electrex the left/right orientation of the coil is meaningless. The sole important factor is the prepositioned ground strap MUST(as in MUST)be on top between the screwhead and the coil. Use whatever orientation will achieve this. I will be testing mine out tonight and let you know how it goes. Hope they're right on this!

Looking forward to a bark busting Sunday!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Final update. The reports about losing the top end were right on the money. Finally fired her up this morning and she's running stronger than I can ever remember. A 14 year old bike that I purchased 5 months ago! Could have bought a new one, but think of all the fun I'd be missing. Next up---cmplete bottom end and all bearings---can't wait! :yeehaw:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom