OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
For as long as I've ridden dirtbikes ruts have had a habit of putting a judo take down on me, I mean big ones, middle ones and little ones. Seems they're always at a slight angle to my intended path. For instance, last weekend the trail I was riding on had a wash-rut at about 20 degrees to the angle of the turn it was in. I never hit it because I slowed to about 5 mph and "tight-roped" my way around knowing that dropping into that 6 inch gutter would mean certain death! BTW the ground was dry, hardpack, and gravely. I know other guys go thundering through the trails bouncing in and out of these little dooseys all day long. What's the deal with that? I'm usually layin' on my belly gasping for air and wondering why my bike went that-a-way before I even knew the rut was there.

Feb 20, 2004
the thing iv learned is theres a rut there for a reason. usually from it being a good line. use it too your advantage. i like to use ruts as if they were berms so they can hold my bike in when i lay it over if i go into a turn fast. and used to always fight ruts because they would shoot me off the trail. don't fight the ruts it dosen't help. learn to relax and let the bike go where it wants.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Dirtbike'n man said:
and used to always fight ruts because they would shoot me off the trail. don't fight the ruts it dosen't help. learn to relax and let the bike go where it wants.
See the problem is: wash-ruts usually lead to gullies, and if the bike wants to go into the gully, then it's goin' without moa! (mostly before I'm aware). :yikes:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
though I don't agree that the rut exists because its a good line (it just means its a popular one but most ppl [myself included] are novices and don't pick the best lines), if you want to go in one you do just have to go with it, and not fight it. They can really help in turns where no other berm exists. The slower you're going the harder they're gonna be to deal with though :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The single best advice I've got for ruts is: Once you're lined up and committed to the rut, look past it and power through it. Focusing on it causes you to overcorrect and fight it when you should be looking ahead, anyway.

I prefer to go around ruts when possible, but when you can't or when it is beneficial to use the side of the rut as a berm, commit to it and power through it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
OldTimer said:
See the problem is: wash-ruts usually lead to gullies, and if the bike wants to go into the gully, then it's goin' without moa! (mostly before I'm aware). :yikes:

OldTimer.

I know the type of rut you are talking about. We have them on our trails around here. They are caused by rain water run-off. They start out as a small rut in the middle of the trail and before long they get wider and deeper until eventually they put you in a big hole or washout. Once you are in them you can't get out. Some of them can swallow your whole bike. :ohmy:

Don't look at the rut. Look where you want to go. We tend to go where our eyes take us. If you look at the rut, that is most likely where you will wind up. If there is not enough room to ride between the ruts then, cross them at more of an angle or ride up on the extreme sides of the trail. When you come into the rutted area, look across the ruts for a line. Try to cross them at about a 45 degree angle even if you have to zig zag through them. It may be slower to zig zag across the ruts but, not near as slow as getting stuck in one.

The advice Gomer gave is good advice for racetrack type ruts. But, Gomer has never seen the type of rut you are talking about since he is not a trail rider. We hope to change that the next time he comes out to visit us. :yikes: :rotfl:

Ol'89r

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
What is this "trail" thing you keep talking about?

...and I *WILL* be back to see you guys again!

(I have to see if Elk found what I dropped in the tank of his toilet)

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Ruts are your friends... Ok... my friends. Good excuse to link my pic page ;). Ruts caused by water runoff are another story, Ol89 seems on the money there.

Motox435

Aug 23, 2005
Well OLD TIMER you cant be a wuss you have to learn how to control you bike thru it just give it gas and hold on and pick a RUT. I race in the 125C class and the 125jr. class and Im only 13 years old. Its a lot of work for me to move the kawasaki thru those turns. I also ride trials a lot. Motocross really helped me with the ruts. Or maybe your just to old to ride. Hahahahahhahhahha!!!!!!!!

#1YZ125RACER

Feb 1, 2005
just try and cross them as straight as possable...gas it a little to get the front end up
this should keep them from sucking ypu in.....are your tires worn as my tires get worn they tend to slide in easier...

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Motox435 said:
Or maybe your just to old to ride. Hahahahahhahhahha!!!!!!!!
Well it does make a difference when you have a family to support! Any how, unlike MX, on the trails the ruts are often at odd angles to the direction of movement and will switch your bike right out from under you. One example, (which is a little off base) was when I was headed sortof across some railroad tracks at about a 15 degree angle, the tracks appeared to be flush with the ground at the point I was trying to cross. When I hit the tracks, my front wheel shot out from under me instantly and I went face first to the deck. Turns out the track was about 2 inches above grade and that was all it took. The same type thing happens w/little hard edged ruts too. Would a steering damper help with this situation? And, provided there were time to react, I was wondering if there are any good techniques for breaking out of a rut once you're caught in one ('cause they don't go in the direction of travel!).

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Move your weight back on the bike to lighten up the front end. This will help keep the front end from washing out, and make it easy to pop the front tire up out of them. If you're riding the Husky, you should have no problem popping the front wheel out of a rut. Sure, the back-end may try to wash out, but it's easier to control than when the front lets go.

Oh, and ruts can smell fear! :p

Top Bottom