Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
Hello fellow bike enthusiasts,
I've been smoking for over 21 yrs now and I'm ready to quit.I bought nicodermn patches tonight and I know there is much more to it then that. I'd appreciate any help/support I can take. I'm ready,who is ready to help? :coocoo:

Last edited:

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I don't know if this'll help you any, but when my dad quit smoking, he bought ice sicles, you know the ones in the boxes that you freeze.. He claimed it calmed his addiction, but I don't know if the same would work for you.. Worth a shot, and if it doesn't work you have a tasty treat.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'll help in any way I can from this end of a fuggin computer.....I quit about 8 months ago with the help and support of quite a few members of this comunity. If not for them listening to my rants, and whining, I'd prolly still be a smoker. There's plenty of support to be had here, hopefully a few other choice members that tried last time (coughokiecough) will join you in your quest. I for one am glad to be free from the monkey. Anything you need, or if ya just wanna rant, hit me up. Matt "YZ165" Yancey

Here's a link that should keep your mind off the cravings for a while...LOL!

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=106800&page=1&pp=10&highlight=quiting+smoking

Oh, almost forgot, Gum, lots and lots of gum...that's the secret.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Good for you, man. My grandmother is in the hospital becasue she has smoked since she was 15. My mos quitting, she said it helps if she chews on stuff or always has a tooth pick or pencil or something in her mouth. Good luck. :cool:

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
Thanks,and I'm sorry to hear about about you're grandmother,I hope see is okay.I really hope your mom does well with the quitiing.
I've never been a quitter so this is going to take some getting used to.
Your support will make all the differance this time. Wish me luck,I want to kick this monkey.
Thanks

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
We're all here for ya. I quit a little over 4 mos ago. Just take it one day at a time and remember...you can beat it. Think of how much better you'll feel knowing that cigarettes don't OWN you anymore. Good Luck!!!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats too you on deciding too quit :cool: Every day seems too get easier, also, try changing the way you do things.. For instance, one thing i would do was too show up too wrok early so i could lounge around and smoke.. Good luck and if you need anything drop me a line..
Rick

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Oh yeah, find another hobby to occupy your time. :) Mine happen to be riding bicycles. I've enjoyed riding over the past 4 mos and enjoy watching my progress. I know that picking up cigarettes again will literally kill my riding accomplishments, so it makes it easier to stay away from them.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
As others have said, one day at a time.

It is the best thing you can do for yourself. Good luck and yell if we can help in any way.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Congrats on your quitting. The patches worked for me. They really help with the cravings. I smoked for 25 years and was up to nearly 3 packs a day when I quit (would even wake up in the middle of the night for a smoke :bang: ) If the patch can cure the withdrawls from that, they will work for everyone.
Watch out for the "triggers". I found I had more problems from this than actual withdrawls.
Triggers being.... Get in pick up, put on seat belt, start it up, fire up a smoke. Pour big ole cup of coffee, grab newspaper, go out on porch, fire up a smoke. Finish eating, take dishes to wife :laugh: , go out on porch, fire up a smoke. And so on!
It gets easier the longer you go. No BS days 3-5 aint fun but you can do it!
Like YZ said. Lots of gum

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
Almost one day gone by now.It wasn't too bad so far. I know it gets harder a few days in,but I'm feeling strong with this attempt.
You guys are the best :cool: I appreciate everything you are saying :nod:

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I know you can do it! I quit Jan. 1 after 38 years of smoking. I used the patches and Wilbutrin. Try to stay busy and the time will pass along with the cravings. If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. And it is not pathetic to ask for help, especially here. These guys have helped me more than they know and I am grateful to each and every one of them!!!! :nod:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
plykins said:
These guys have helped me more than they know and I am grateful to each and every one of them!!!!

Yep! Me too! :aj:

LVRIDA

Oct 24, 2004
I quit cold turkey 3 and a half years ago I smoked for 10 years.I was up to 2 and a half packs a day, sure am glad im not paying for them now!I would think of all the negative things about smoking to help me out like wake up hack up a lung feel like #@$%.Once you quit you will have all kinds of time on your hands and you will laugh about how much of an addict you were.Hang in there its all in your head just keep arguing with yourself no i dont need a ciggarette thats all you can do the longer you say no the easier it gets.Goodluck! :bang:

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Here are a few things that worked for me were.
- When I wake up I repeat as many times as necessary. "I'm not smoking today." Been saying that for almost two years. Thats a little more than 600 days.
- I rearanged my habits and my schedule. I would smoke in my garage when it was cold out. I had a certain place that I left my ash tray and cigarettes. I cleaned up this area and completly rearranged my garage. That way I didn't look at he same place that I used to smoke.
- I didn't go back once. If I had gone back I'd still be smoking.
- This is just like a creek crossing or a hill climb. There is a way across or up, just gotta keep at it with plenty of clutch, throttle and caution at the right times. You'll get over there where you see the tracks of other riders. If they did it then I know I can!

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
I had a few smokes over the weekend(few beers triggered it) but I'm still tring. I feel confident I can't beat this habit.I'm tring to stay busy.I got my spare bike running over the weekend for about 30 seconds at which point it sucked in a piece of slag from the new pc pipe and chewed the piston and rings,so I swapped in another new piston I had here. That manged to keep me busy yesterday, :laugh:

Attachments

• Copy of bike pics 061.jpg
    Copy of bike pics 061.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 63

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
dont have a few beers til you can handle it :bang:

i gave up morning coffee for a couple weeks in honor of quitting smoking, if youre gonna do it , do it :nod:

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
ellandoh, I learned my lesson,no more beer for a long while.I figured the morning coffee would be more difficult to have without smoking,but I can handle the coffee without smoking(but only 1 coffee) . I'm gonna do it :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
:aj: :aj:

coffee seemed impossible, hence "morning coffee" + "morning cigarette" but wasnt as bad as i imagined, however since quitting smoking sometimes now i forget to even have a coffee in the AM :think: later on i think somethings missing..oh ya coffee :coocoo:

i quit alcohol 7 yrs ago but i would guess the judgement affecting thing would play a part, since i can drink an odouls and a cigarette is not on my mind whatsoever

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Been a while sence I've seen this thread come up....how you doing? Hope everythings going good! Matt

Top Bottom