I'm thinking of getting a new bike...

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
And no i dont really need help choosing it since ive already pretty much picked it out. ;) I love my KDX to death but i hate driving around town with it (those knobbies are hurtin') so i was thinking of getting a road bike. I was at a friends cycle shop the other day (same friend i bought my KDX) when i mentioned my idea. He turned around and pointed at a 1980 Honda CB650. He said that he would sell that to me for $300 because we're friends and i give him quite abit of business.

It right now doesnt run but turns over just fine. It needs rebuilt carbs and some other routine maintenance. Nothing i dont think i could do at home in my spare time.

Have any of you riden one of these? Its the more classic type i was looking for and the price is very right. I beleive i have the neccesary skills to fix it myself and have fun with it. So do you guys think i should get it? :)

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Just a reminder, the bike is 26 years old. And it is a street bike. Have fun with it, but it would get 2 thumbs down for me...

"Other routine maintenance" sounds kind of scary.

I guess my point is, when you can't give something away, sometimes it is easier to sell it. I could be way off base here tho - I am not there evaluating the bike.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
It might be hard for you do get some parts also. Why not mount your KDX on street or dual-purpose tires and stiffen the suspension a bit?
Old bike=Work=Money=Frustration=Regret

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
trial_07 said:
It might be hard for you do get some parts also. Why not mount your KDX on street or dual-purpose tires and stiffen the suspension a bit?
Old bike=Work=Money=Frustration=Regret
Both have been done. My front tire is just fine, the rear is the one in bad shape. The tires i have are dual sport. Do you recommened any good dual sport tires for the next rear?

When i was referring to "Other routine maintenance", i was talking about patching a seam on the seat, checking fuel lines, tire pressure, brake adjustment, oil levels, basic stuff.

About being an old bike, this isnt anything compared to my dream bike. 1954 BMW R51/3. Ive been working with my uncle (www.ulismotorradladen.de) for the last 2 years working on old bikes. I love classics, more than new bikes.

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
My dad used to teach a road bike class back in the 80's and that's the bike he owned at the time, he also used it as a demo. Looking for a cb650 myself. I say get it, turn it into a street fighter.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
rickyd said:
Old bike fixed up could = Satisfaction :cool:

COULD

As for dual tires, I don't know anything about those. Good luck with your bike!

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Im going by tomorrow with a friend to check it out some more. You know, get the nitty gritty on it. There shouldnt be that much work involved because he was planning on selling it for $1200 completly fixed up anyways. I dunno, we shall see...

Top Bottom