bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Tie your bike down properly!

Yesterday i was traveling north on I5 just comming out of sandiego. I noticed a RV towing a trailer with a very nice YZ on it, and just as i got up behind it guess what?

It went over a very small bump and the rest is history. The bike left the trailer, and went for at least a 500 yard "death drag". it looked like it took some real damage (lots of sparks!) and i felt very bad for the guy. Luckily for him though, it went on the drag, if it had come loose it would have been much worse since several cars would have gone right over it.

Hopefully we can learn from this, and i am sure many people have done the hard way also.

Appologies to the webmaster foor the placement of this thread....i couldnt think where to put it, but somewhere with the most coverage would be best i suppose.

cheers

bruce

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
And my buddies say I'm paranoid:mad: I use a bike boot, fork saver, and 4 tie downs. Just to be safe:p

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
I too now use 4 tie downs. My cr 250 took a spill because one of my straps broke. Movement caught my eye, I looked inmy rear view mirror, and holy ****, my bike was falling over the side of my trailer. I was running about 80mph in a slight left hand curve. The bike hit the pavement upside down on handlebars ( thank goodness for renthals). It flipped end over end about 5 times and ended up in an 8' ditch. The only dammage was a torn front brake line, torn grips, a few small scratches on one side of the swingarm. LUCKY!!!

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
I heard about that too. My friends were on their way to Lake Elsinore to meet me and they said the owner was holding his head while looking at the bike that fell off a RV with a trailer....LMAO:(
That has got to suck! Man I feel his pain.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Dear J-dem-bones:

if you hear of any good news regarding this story, please let me know.
unfortunately though it did look bad, if the amount of sparks it produced are anything to go by! i felt so bad for the guy, it made me feel sick to the stomach watching the "death drag". I am in the process of saving for a bike so i know how hard they are to come by for some people. Hopefully many people will hear of this and learn from this mistake.

cheers

bruce.

ps. when i do finally get a machine, i would like to get in touch with you again about riding areas around SD. (i am just south of you on the 5 in the UTC area) do you ride MX, and do you do the green or red sticker thing? (or does it matter?)

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
that brings back some fond memories

I lost my bike in the carwash once (72 CZ) after washing it I drove out of the carwash and looked back to see my bike doing a wheelie in the rear of my truck.. The hose on the wand had hooked the handlebars and the old style tie-downs pulled loose. I stopped and the bike fell partially out of my truck.

Another time at a race I saw a guy pull in trailering 3 bikes, the trailer had 3 rails for the bikes and no floor. A Yamaha on the trailer had the rear wheel draggin cause it jumped out of the rail.. The poor guy had a brand new tire with one side worn completely flat!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
this should serve as a good reminder to secure your load well, and check your anchor points and tie downs frequently. Bad things happen when something comes loose at high-speeds or in traffic, or in high-speed traffic.
Hope the guy had insurance.

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
Also always use something to help out your forks. They do more than just same your forks they make the bike tie down a lot harder and stay up better too.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
yamy400 (or mabey we should change your name to :uh: ) why don't you grow up. Get a life. And stop making the reading material dull to read :debil: . You have no usefull input. Instead of posting "it was his own fault". You could have stayed the course (since this is not the flame forum, and the title said "Important safety warning") and posted something helpfull for everyone else that clicked on the thread, to read. If you have no valuable information in your brain to pass along in this forum (or most other forums as well). Do me a favor (and I speak for no one else here) and leave, take a trip down your memory lane here:uh:

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I doubt that. Check out some of his other Slick threads and replies

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had something similar happen to me but the out come was only minor. So how one of the hooks on the tie down came undone from the bed I went turning and went over a smooth drive way entrance. It was enough to shake the bed slightly and the tie down hook came out. The bike fell over and landed on the side of the bed bending the raditor slightly. Ever since then i've been hella parinoid about having it happen again. I got a bike shoe but haven't installed it I now load the bike up at an angle in the bed and use 3 tie downs and i'm still not satisfied its safe enough. I think i'll only be happy if I can install like a gaint magnet to hold it in :p When I drive now I'm always looking out the rear view to make sure its still there like every 5 mins or so just constantly.

Top Bottom