OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
While watching Motorcross Files last week, I noticed that the forks Brad Lackey ran on his 1982 Suzuki, much to the factory's disdain, were inverted! He won the championship that year but it took, what, twenty years for them to become "main stream". I must say I was shocked to see inverted forks on a film from back in the caveman days! :cool:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I think White Power was dabbling in inverts back in 75' or 77'...........I think, I know ATK started using them in 85'

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Factory Harley Davidson fitted one of their MX bikes with a fork in place of the rear shocks. They practiced with it but I don't think they ever raced.

As for inverted forks, motorcycles have been around for over a century. It would not surprise me if someone tried inverted forks on a street bike 50 or more years ago.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
OldTimer said:
Humph.....
I guess 1990 seems like yesterday and 1982 seems like way-back-when... go figger!

They were both just yesterday... right?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
BonChance13 said:
KTM had them on their 495 in 1984

KTM went USD on all models in 85

here is an 85 250 EXC

not my bike, don't ask me why it has a yamaha seat on it? :think:

Attachments

• ktm-250exc-85-bikepics-254687.jpg
    ktm-250exc-85-bikepics-254687.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 678

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
While watching Motorcross Files last week, I noticed that the forks Brad Lackey ran on his 1982 Suzuki, much to the factory's disdain, were inverted! He won the championship that year but it took, what, twenty years for them to become "main stream". I must say I was shocked to see inverted forks on a film from back in the caveman days! :cool:
Caveman days? I resent that statment, Lol, we may have been cave men, while inventing everything under the sun, but at least we had the nutz! Now you youngins' are a bunch of spoiled rotten, winey fruits. The forks you were referring to are know as the mighty Simmons UDX-60's and they were used on almost any thing! Those old timer bikes you refer to were new back in the day and boy were they trick! Hell the Honda z-50 used a form of usd forks. Usd forks are good for strength at the bars, good for heavy impacts and mega jumps. But I will tell you, conventional forks are smooth as silk in off road, trail, and enduro riding situations. They ride just like a Cadilac, Cave man, my arse......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom