ipone Synthetic Snowmobile Oil... IN a Bike

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I know nothing about snowmobiles.

Are they water cooled? If water cooled motors all keep a fairly steady operating temp, Id think the oil would be ok.
Do they turn similar RPMs?
It must not contain bean-oil (castor) since I've heard castor doesn't like to stay mixed below 30*F.

FNG

May 2, 2008
Todays snowmobile engines are increasingly more demanding of teir oils. With fuel injection and now direct injection, some snowmobiles are rivalling their 4 stroke counterparts for emissions.

Snowmobile injection oil stays thinner in cold weather, otherwise it carries the same or better ratings than many 2 stroke dirtbike oils.

I run Mystic Sea/Snow synthetic blend in my dirtbikes. It is very highly rated and burns cleaner than the 2R I was using IMO.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, over the years I've been in situations where I've had no alternative but to use jet ski injection oil, as well as outboard oil.

The bikes did not notice.

I think you would be fine with a good snowmobile oil.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
FNG! Bear with me please, what EXACTLY is 2r?
bob, i believe it´s yamahalube 2r, their two stroke oil...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Yamalube 2R... good stuff, and it'll turn a transparent aftermarket tank brown in record time (especially a Clarke.)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The synthetics run odd, and seemingly to me, not the same as castor, when in the 20:1 range. To the point, I may try to keep using 927 all winter, just, mix enough to use, and dump the rest in my vintage van. I truly deplore the hp loss, and the lean to me, tinny vibrations that leaner ratios bring with it. Not to mention, the whoops, I scored the cylinder! Remember, when your engine is up to operating temperature, it is beyond, a safe press fit, in the machinist world, thats how tight it gets in there! And our ONLY safe guard, is the very thin film, of oil. The micro second that it goes, so does the motor. The real world, NOTHING actually touches anything else, until, it bonds. The repair shops, they love this fact? Yes, the Yamalube "r" synthetic, is marketed by every oem, and is as good as any other synthetic, super M from Maxima included! But for a 2 stroke race engine, nothing will perform like a castor oil, not castor based, synthetic, IMO! And even though, you may be slow in the trails or track, the second you wind it up tight, then you are in the racer world, that the engine was designed for, just not for too long! I had the pleasure, of being on the same track, with Todd DeHoop, he was on a YZ125, on the Redbud track, wound up TIGHT! After his 3rd 15 minute practice, he switched to a KX250. I do wish, I would have caught up with him in the pits, to ask what ratio he was running. It smelled like race fuel, ether based, and the oil, was different, than I am used to, no 927 or Xamax. Track talk with pit dads, they are for the most part, floundering, BIGTIME, blendsall and some magic in a bottle, C-12 and speedways best out of the ground tank fuel mix, and a blown motor, and soooo much vibration, I truly feel sorry for the rider!.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I use my ipone to make telephone calls and texts.
I use 927 in my bike.
But I would venture to guess, if it's good oil, it will be fine in a bike.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
If it is "JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD" rated, that is going to be at least a "good-to-very-good" 2T oil, as those are the highest 2T-oil ratings that Japan has. (Tho obviously some oils may barely pass these test, and others blow by them, a la a full-ester synthetic---I ran MC1 for 33yrs, but the Osama administration has forced me to try SuperM now...)
But these JASO-FD oils can be found veery cheaply on the web. As low as 44-cents per premixed gallon! (Note: I do NOT like running ANY auto-injection 2T oil tho, b/c of the added solvents that have to be in them...check out the MSDS' for Yamalube 2T vs 2S, for example).
For me, since I can run a not-good-but-GREAT oil like SuperM for only a $1-per-premix-gallon, (by buying half-gal from RM online). Anything less just ain't worth it. And boat/watercraft oil (ie, certified for boats/watercraft) is one kind that I would not run, as it does not contain the "safety belt" of soft metals in it, due to water-pollution concerns. (Yes, boat engines cost $20k and rev out pretty well, but their req'd/legal could be better).

For all you cheapskates tho, a JASO-FD / LEGD certified oil is "Union76 Airkool HP 2-Cycle Oil"---bought by the gallon, it comes down to 44-cents premix-gal, at 40:1. But no, I still opt for the SuperM from RM. At least unless u all re-elect Osama again. LoL

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Maxima SuperM is good stuff. I'll vote that you get to keep using it. ;)

Top Bottom